Official Review: Proud to Be Me Rosalinda Part 2

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: Canary and the Mothman by Emory Moon

Official Review: Proud to Be Me Rosalinda Part 2

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Proud to Be Me Rosalinda Part 2" by Jesse Moreno.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Following the events of the previous book, Rosalinda “Rose” Escobar is now a superstar in the world of professional boxing, as she is now the world champion. Her journey is just beginning, however, as she must defend her title against a host of opponents that believe they are better fighters than she is. While Rose is focused on the task at hand, the murder of someone close to her, in the previous book, remains unresolved. There is also a betrayal of Rose's trust when her present lover, Rick, gets closer to another woman. What effect will these distractions have on her bid to retain her title? Find out by picking up a copy of Jesse Moreno's Proud to Be Me Rosalinda: Part II.

The author seems to have a lot of experience in the world of boxing or has carried out a lot of research on how things work in this field. I enjoyed learning a lot about the different forms of training to improve in boxing as I watched Rose and her colleagues put in work. The highlight of the book for me came in the form of the fight scenes in the ring. Jesse Moreno expertly employs a descriptive style of writing that will help readers feel every punch and emotion as both fighters struggle for victory. Those scenes brought the excitement that was necessary to keep me invested in the story. It was also interesting to follow a strong female character, Rose, after what she had been through to get to that point in her career.

The book also seems professionally edited. I found just five minor errors that did not affect my reading. However, the book left much to be desired in other areas. A big issue for me from the previous book was that Rose's main opponent, Echo, did not get a good look into her character. So, I couldn't connect to her. The same was evident in this book, and other challengers suffered the same fate. Writing the book from a third-person point of view probably affected the story in this regard, as it was difficult to establish any connection with the characters, besides Rose.

Another issue was that Rose seemed like a perfect character. I couldn't point out any weakness from reading her story. Jesse Moreno's inclusion of a romance element in the story was a welcome addition, but I was not pleased that two strong female characters had to fight over a man. There was no deeper reason for the problems between them.

Furthermore, the story seemed to lack direction. While I enjoyed the idea of Rose having to prove herself as the champion, it was not well executed as the central theme because all Rose did was fight. All things considered, I think a rating of 2 out of 4 is fair. I couldn't go below my actual rating because the author did a good job of accurately depicting the world of boxing and the fight scenes. I would recommend this book to fans of sports-themed and action stories. There are sexual content and minor profanity, so the book is not suitable for a younger audience.

Proud to Be Me Rosalinda Part 2
View: on Bookshelves

VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

From your review, I don't find much that I will like about the book if I give it a try. Additionally, I will have to read the first book to understand this one. So I will give it a pass. Thank you for your honest review! :)

HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: As Good As Can Be by William A. Glass

Post by HannahsReads »

Thanks for your review! It's kind of rare to see novels about female boxers or wrestlers, so it is too bad this one doesn't have great characterization.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: You, Me and Destiny by J.F McLoughlin

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This book sounds quite unique--I like that the author has significant knowledge about boxing. It's always nice when a topic is well researched. Hopefully the unsolved pieces from the previous book come together. Thanks for the wonderful review.

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Sell Montana by Steve Gilreath

Post by Nqobile771 »

I have never read a book about female boxers. I'm interested in how they overcome challenges in this sporting code. Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading: Salami Leh Beirut
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Daniel Kossov - Pictures of an Outstanding Musician by Rosemary Ellen Tingley

Post by Pluma »

I like the sound of the unique setting of the book, as well as the strong female lead and the fact that the content was well-researched. It’s a pity that the characterisation was so poor. Thanks for the honest review!

Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

Thanks for your review, but from your description of the book, I do not think, that I would enjoy reading it.

Luluwa79
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Luluwa79 »

The book sounds interesting with a female protagonist, i love the plot and story line of the book. Nice review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”