Review by nannaleigh1110 -- Spirit of the Season

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nannaleigh1110
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nannaleigh1110.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by nannaleigh1110 -- Spirit of the Season

Post by nannaleigh1110 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Spirit of the Season" by Brian Lamont.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It was with great pleasure that I read the book Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont. It was a delightful holiday read that left me smiling. I give this book 4 out 4 stars for being engaging and nicely polished. It was set in the late 1800s and I love that era. The book contains a Bible verse in the opening pages, which I found attractive. On page 28, the book speaks of May Day, which I still celebrate.

I could relate to the main character, an introvert, who struggles all his life with being around people. Through a chance meeting with a local squire, he gets introduced to the world of horses and how to ride. He is loaned a horse and taught the skills he needs to become an equestrian. As a horse lover myself, I understand completely his drive to ride. The relationship he has with his horse is to be admired.

Through his activities involving the horse, he meets the woman who will become his wife. They experience a special relationship and the world around him begins to open up. When tragedy comes in chapter three, he is sent into a downward spiral. For 20 years he cuts himself off from everyone, but a near disaster brings him out into society again. He realizes he is damaging the community by distancing himself from it.

Through both a young man and an unexpected friend, the man begins to transform into a loving, giving person we can all appreciate. While the book never calls the main character by his given name, only the candle maker, who he becomes is a holiday character to treasure.

There are ups and downs in this book which might give a person pause to reflect. Are we reacting to the things which happen in our lives in a positive or negative manner? I liked that the book causes the reader to examine themselves. A person who enjoys a nice holiday story and wants to take a second look at their life might find aspects of this book helpful and rewarding.

The only swear word I found was on page 32. It was so mild that some may not even consider it a swear word. It did not detract from the story, but added to the emotions of the moment. I came across no grammatical errors, plus I learned a new word, navvies, on page 60. I have no negative thoughts about this book. It was well-done and fun to read.

Spirit of the Season
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”