Official Review: Stockboy Nation by Thomas Duffy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Misael
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Official Review: Stockboy Nation by Thomas Duffy

Post by Misael »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stockboy Nation" by Thomas Duffy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With a failed writing career, unsuccessful job hunting and a cold-hearted fiancée, life could not get any bleaker for Phillip. He misses his single status and simple life. Many online applications later, he gets a job at bookstore in San Diego, California. His busy job as a stockroom clerk takes a toll on his relationship. With the sparks in their love life gone, Phillip’s eyes start wandering while Melissa begins wondering about other men in the law firm. Both begin having regrets and develop doubts about their life as an engaged couple. They seem to have nothing in common even as their jobs push them further apart. Eventually, they break up and Phillip is faced with an uncertain future even as he gets promoted. Stockboy Nation by Thomas Duffy presents one man’s journey as he faces the consequences of the choices he makes along the way.

Stockboy Nation presented many workplace issues and Duffy's narrative was amusing. Furthermore, the many types of relationships provided realistic and relatable issues. Duffy gave me a glimpse of the world of dating websites and a good narrative about the COVID-19 pandemic that caused many deaths around the world. He was able to make me visualize Phillip as the character went through challenging events.

Phillip was a weakling and pessimist. Though observant, he was inclined to stereotype and find faults in every person he encountered. He had no ambition and backed down from problems easily. He was one confused man. I found him dense, arrogant and unlikeable. I could not count the number of times I shook my head in disbelief at his actions. Phillip’s character was so negative I could not understand what endeared him to Melissa and his potential partner LeeAnn; I could not find any redeeming quality in him. His co-worker he called The Candy Man was likable than him and this character was far more interesting.

Melissa’s indifference to her relationship with Phillip was so clinical I could only laugh in disbelief. The couple’s sarcastic remarks at each other were humorous and confusing at the same time. Despite her apparent coldness and the casual way she talked about their relationship, I thought Melissa was a compassionate person. Despite LeeAnn’s unbelievable fascination with Phillip, I found her sweet and her logic feasible. I liked her character. It looked like all the characters around Phillip were way better than him.

The pacing of the first half of the book was very slow and dragging but the story picked up when the pandemic came into the story. The book’s setting amidst the pandemic made the novel current, relatable and it saved the book from being boring. If this aspect was removed from the story, the novel would be merely about a man suffering bouts of depression or going through a mid-life crisis. I commend the author for evoking varied emotions in me as I read the novel.

There were many missing punctuation marks like commas, hyphens, periods and quotation marks.

The novel was engaging hugely because of its relevance and the timely plot. However, the existence of many grammatical errors led me to believe a proofreading tool was unutilized. Thus, I give Stockboy Nation by Thomas Duffy 3 out of 4 stars.

If you like to read a novel about current world issues like depression, anxiety and the pandemic the world is fighting at present, Stockboy Nation is for you. But if you are looking for exciting romance or adventure, you have to look elsewhere.

Stockboy Nation
View: on Bookshelves
Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

This book sounds supremely timely and interesting! Thanks for a great and informative review.
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

I love the storyline, but I don't really like the qualities given to the main character, maybe that's what makes the story. Thanks for your detailed review.
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

The story is relatable. I can have had times where I have questioned some of the choices I have made in life. However, I don't think I will be adding this book to my shelf.
Thank you for your review.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: Earth & Evermore by John Consalvo

Post by Slater678 »

Relationships are hard and it will be interesting to read how Philip and Melissa handles it. Thanks for the enjoyable review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”