Official Review: Y. Vonne Beck? by L. R. Gerstein

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Memory Thieves by Tayma Tameem

Official Review: Y. Vonne Beck? by L. R. Gerstein

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Y. Vonne Beck?" by L. R. Gerstein.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most people judge situations according to their past experiences. And when they are hurt too many times, it can be challenging to open up again. But what happens when you allow yourself to hope, and then everything comes crashing down on you?

Y. Vonne Beck? Volume 2 by L. R. Gerstein, as the name implies, is the second part of Y. Vonne Beck's story. I read the first volume of this book, and I would say that this one started where the first one left off. Though this installment had a different focus, I would advise the reader to read the first volume to understand the characters' antecedents.

In this second volume, Ken became more of an active player in Jonathan's life. Vonne met Ruby and Cliff, who ended up becoming her closest friends. Wilson, who had served as a father figure for her, fell in love and left, and she continued to develop her relationship with Asher. They met many roadblocks along the way, mostly due to Asher's profession. However, just when everything seemed to be working out well for Vonne, she began to face betrayal from several angles all at once.

Vonne's story was a touching one and was more appealing because it was realistic. The characters were human-like; they had their strengths as well as their faults. The book seemed to emphasize love, regardless of attractiveness or perfection, which contrasted some other books in the same genre. I found it quite refreshing. It was almost like listening to a dear friend's story and sharing in their experiences. It was that real.

However, at a point, the narrative became boring. Having read the first book, I started this second one feeling excited to know what happened in Vonne's life and how her story evolved. That interest faded rather quickly as the story dragged on and on; it made it predictable. Some of the chapters had fillers that gave no insight as to the direction the story was headed. It seemed like it was only a few times when things picked up, especially towards the end. Despite that, Y. Vonne Beck's story was an emotional one, and the cliffhangers towards the end aroused my curiosity for further volumes.

As in the first volume, I found some Jewish expressions that may not be familiar to non-Jews. I liked that the author provided a list at the end of the book, where people could cross-reference some of these terms. Hence, your religious leaning would not be an issue.

Unlike the first volume, this one was riddled with a plethora of grammatical errors. I'd have to give it three out of four stars. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys a heartwarming and emotional tale.

Y. Vonne Beck?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Spanish Flu vs Covid-19, which is the worst pandemic? by Farzana Prior

Post by Nqobile771 »

I wish Y. Vonne the best of luck in finding love but I will give this book a pass. Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: The Girl in the mural by Iris
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

This book appears to feed us emotionally. I wish this piece lived up to your expectation as the first one. Your review was very well explained with the pros and cons mentioned. Thanks for the review!

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: My Name is Red
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by raluca_mihaila »

Thank you for your interesting review! The book, however, doesn't sound so appealing to me.

Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading: The OG Three and The Harmony
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Pluma »

It’s always good when the characters feel real and relatable, and I like the sound of the way the story appeals to the reader emotionally. It’s a real pity that the plot became boring and predictable after a while. Thanks for the great review!

Tablito
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Tablito »

Thoughtful of Gerstein to give readers that are not conversant with the Jewish language an easy time.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”