Official Review: Pop's by M. R. Gerbo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresam
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresam.html
Latest Review: Pop's by M. R. Gerbo

Official Review: Pop's by M. R. Gerbo

Post by Theresam »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pop's" by M. R. Gerbo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pop’s by M.R. Gerbo is the first novel in The Erie Marsh Series told from the perspective of Mickey Pervitch, a teenage boy living in a small town in Michigan. The book takes place in 1968 and is filled with nostalgia from that time. The story begins when Mickey is fourteen-years-old and accepts a job as a busboy at a local diner called Pop’s. A large part of the story takes place at the diner. There is a wide range of characters that frequent Pop’s. The author’s descriptions of these characters and their backstories are entertaining and intriguing.

Another focus of the novel is Mickey’s family. He lives with his parents and his sister, Sissy. Although he is a loner and gets bullied at school, he manages to stay positive and always wants to help others. He has a complicated relationship with his father, but there is no doubt that they love and respect one another. There are some unsavory people that frequent the diner and Mickey grows up fast through his experiences there. When one of the employees at the diner is missing, the owner of Pop’s files a missing person report with the local police and a mystery begins to unravel. The book contains unsuspected twists and turns as the shocking secrets of the small town are exposed.

This book provided a suspenseful and fast-paced story that kept me engaged from beginning to end. The unique characters created by the author were multi-dimensional and interesting. What I liked most about this book was the characters. In the beginning of the book, the author devotes specific chapters to certain characters and their relationships with Mickey. In this way, even the minor characters were complex and added to the story. As the mysteries in the book begin to unravel, these characters appear again, and the seemingly unrelated stories come together in an amazing way.

I could not identify what I liked least about this book because I thoroughly enjoyed the story. There was so much to like about this book. The relationships between the characters had depth and rich history provided through back stories. The character of Mickey was exceptionally well written. For example, the awkwardness of a fourteen-year-old on his first date was captured beautifully by the author. Most readers can relate to the relationships in this story and the experiences of being a teenager. He was naïve at times, but also thoughtful and sincere.

The book contains some profanity and descriptions of sexual situations that would make it inappropriate for young readers. I would recommend this book to young adult and older readers who enjoy mystery novels and stories told from the point of view of a teenage boy trying to find his place in the world. I only saw one minor error in the book, but it did not distract from my enjoyment of the book. I believe the book was professionally edited. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars and would highly recommend it. I look forward to reading the next novel in The Erie Marsh Series.

Pop's
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Pop's by M. R. Gerbo

Kate Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-park.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kate Park »

This sounds like the type of book that I would enjoy reading. Your description of the teenager's first date seems so hilarious and innocent. The fact that this book mostly takes place at a diner would make it unique. How would you explain the style of Gerbo's writing?

AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

The name, Pop's, remind me of the popular restaurant in Archie comics😁.
I appreciate a book that ties unrelated stories together thus adding a twist to the general story, and neatly tying up loose ends.
Mickey's story sounds quite interesting, I'd love to read it if I get the chance.
Great review.
Live and let live, baby!

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Weeper by Greg Morgan

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

AnnOgochukwu wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 02:40
The name, Pop's, remind me of the popular restaurant in Archie comics😁.
I appreciate a book that ties unrelated stories together thus adding a twist to the general story, and neatly tying up loose ends.
Mickey's story sounds quite interesting, I'd love to read it if I get the chance.
Great review.
I was just going to say that about the Archie comics. The way the book is presented reminds me of the Netflix series Riverdale.

The book sounds amazing; I love stories that take place during this period--the diner is the cherry on top! I will definitely add this one to my list. Thanks for the lovely review!
Latest Review: Weeper by Greg Morgan

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Manaskd
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by raluca_mihaila »

As some people mentioned this before, it reminded me of Riverdale :). I love reading about mysteries, and good characters bring more value to a clever plot. Thank you for your interesting review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”