Official Review: The Coming Collapse and Recovery of Publ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Official Review: The Coming Collapse and Recovery of Publ...

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Coming Collapse and Recovery of Public Education" by Donald Wilber.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In this academic case of video-based educational learning versus traditional classroom instruction and critical thinking versus indoctrination, The Coming Collapse and Recovery of Public Education, by Donald Wilber, highlights some important fundamental problems in the education system.

The book revolves around three main characters: Donna Kane, the dean of the College of Education at Harbridge and a devoted educator who supports independent schooling and disapproves of the nationalization of curriculum; Adine Dorson, a professor working under Donna who disapproves of her strategies; and Aaron Isaac, developer of SchoolTools digital courseware. The story is about the rapidly changing culture of local schools and the shift towards oral tests based on different viewpoints about subject matters rather than fact-based learning.

Donna, the main character of the story, is striving hard to bring back past moral and social teachings in which children receive an education according to their talents. She happens to meet Aaron, who developed a video-based educational software designed to create engaging online classroom curricula and to provide an opportunity for children to connect with other children all around the world. But Adine and the National Teachers Association oppose the idea, fearing that the software would eradicate the need for teachers in classrooms. Thus, they start scheming against Donna and Aaron, suing them for introducing a program that would turn the whole educational system upside down. The novel narrates the struggle that Donna and Aaron experience in attempting to repair a damaged academic system.

Although the book is categorized in the “Other Fiction” genre, the plot seemed plausible, and I found myself in agreement with the new educational program offered by the author. In keeping with the current disruption in education caused by the circumstances of the pandemic, this book provides an opportunity for improvement and adaptation. The author has contemplated the significance of critical thinking and the need for the inclusion of digital media in schooling. As the novel’s character, columnist Wendell Thomas, says, “I’ve read that the intellectual mind is one possessing a mix of inquisitiveness, creativity and rationality.”

Anyone — including professors, parents, and students — can read this book. It provides a solution, in the form of online courses, to the recent problems generated by the pandemic. In addition, teachers have an opportunity to understand the importance of adapting to the world of digital teaching with an emphasis on critical thinking. Parents can also get a few pointers on how the current change in learning could be “the best ever known education” for their children.

Overall, the book seemed to be carefully edited, and there was no use of profane language. As a result, the book has earned a four out of four stars rating. It was a promising reading experience, and I would highly recommend it, especially in these changing times for education.

The Coming Collapse and Recovery of Public Education provides a modern view of online education based on the old-school academics of constructive debate, which gives a chance to build a just and equal society by “creating the international children of the future.”

The Coming Collapse and Recovery of Public Education
View: on Bookshelves
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Technological advancements have led to new strategies for learning. I enjoyed reading your review.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Adine and the National Teachers Association should have approached Donna and Aaron to inquire how they could get the teachers on board instead of opposing Aaron's idea which could have given the teachers an easy time.
SarahShebl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahshebl.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by SarahShebl »

It seems to be discussing an important subject that we all encounter these days. Being a college student myself, I am still having difficulties adapting to the new system. I think I should read this book as fast as possible. Thank you for the review.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

It sounds like the book is filled with different views and approaches to enhance the quality of education. It is worth reading. Learners are different and we need to find ways to accommodate them all while enhancing education systems. This book sounds like a must-read. Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
CharlieMax1516
Currently Reading: Put Comfortable Shoes in my Coffin
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charliemax1516.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by CharlieMax1516 »

This book sounds perfectly timed and a book my family of educators would enjoy. I enjoyed your review. Thank you!
"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." -Emily Bronte

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”