Official Review: The Last Seat on the Hindenburg

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Official Review: The Last Seat on the Hindenburg

Post by Adanna Inya »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Seat on the Hindenburg" by Charley Brindley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Spread across Kwajalein were blown up rifles, banged up helmets, potent grenades, burnt clothing, artillery shells, damaged bodies, and the stench of doom. The Second World War between America and Japan was in full swing, and Private William Martin, a military medic, was right in the middle of it. Without a care for his life, he singlehandedly took out many armored tanks and Japanese soldiers. He should be discharged honorably, and with medals! However, something happened at Kwajalein that needs to remain a secret. Someone set him up, and instead of an honorable discharge, he was sent to Byberry, a mental asylum. What is this secret? Who set him up? Is there any hope for William?

Fast-forward to the present day where we meet 21 years old Sandia. Her parents, who are high profile bodyguards, disappeared when she was 10 years old. She is kept in the care of her great-grandparent, who loves her to bits. Sandia has a tumor in the Broca's area of her brain that hinders her speech. The pension of her great-grandparent also stops because of a miscommunication somewhere. She tries to hire a lawyer to help, but she transposes the telephone digits. This brings Donovan, a multi-talented Braille translator, to her doorstep. Things take a very interesting turn from here. What is the connection between William and Sandia? Where are Sandia's parents? Will her parents ever be found? For answers to these questions and other juicy details, pick up The Last Seat on the Hindenburg, a novel likened to a bar, where truths are unearthed, secrets are leaked, and strategies are formulated!

The author, Charley Brindley, has created a masterpiece! I picked up this book and didn't drop it until I finished it. This is 344 pages of awesomeness that everyone deserves. I couldn't even fit this novel into a genre. History, war, humor, crime, and romance are some of the features of this work. The plot covered a series of events that occurred between the years 1944 and 2017, using the flashback method. The author beautifully tied up the story on a high note, making me feel like I was run over by a truck of emotions. I love everything about this book, and I'm tempted to ask for a sequel! This is an absolutely fantastic book! Oh, I said that already.

The title of the novel hit me first, and I had to make some findings. I discovered that the Hindenburg was an airship that crashed on the 6th of May,1937. It was on its way from Frankfurt to the United States, and there's an interesting story surrounding the last seat. A bar was built in its likeness and named after it in this book. This bar was where the best plans were made. I'd say that the thorough blend of altered historical happenings and fiction is a genius move by the author. On settling into the book, I fell in love with the writing style employed by Charley Brindley. His style was simple and engaging even though the story alternated between the past and present. The use of language was appropriate for each era that we navigated through. There was no time that I was lost or found anything difficult to comprehend. The plot continuity was seamless.

I loved that character development was consistent, believable, and commendable. The characters had depth, unique personalities, and clear motivation. Sandia may have been the star of the show, but Donovan was my star. The nerve of Donovan! He walked into military headquarters, presidential offices, and conglomerates, without a fear in the world. He outsmarted them in their territories and they did his bidding. He went all out for his friends without backing down, which is a trait that I admire. Asides the loyalty that he displayed, other characters in the book taught me different lessons. I read about love so pure, courage, bravery, hope, determination, and the strength in unity. I also loved Martin William's character because his will was unmatched. I could feel the tension as if I was on the battlefield during the war. The author also deliberately shows us the dirty politics that are played in the military. We get to see the scheming and injustice perpetrated by those at the top of the professional ladder. There's a lot to learn from this book.

I disliked nothing about this novel. I also believe that the book was professionally edited because I found very few errors that didn't hinder my reading flow. There was subtle romance in the book. I also didn't find any profanity. I rate The Last Seat on the Hindenburg by Charley Brindley 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to lovers of war, history, romance, and fiction novels. However, people who can't stand bloodshed, death, and violence may not read this book.

The Last Seat on the Hindenburg
View: on Bookshelves
Yatich1
Currently Reading: Tesla
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yatich1.html
Latest Review: Steel Reign: Flight of The Starship Concord by Braxton Cosby

Post by Yatich1 »

Good review. Looking forward to reading the book
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:

Post by Adanna Inya »

Yatich1 wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 03:04 Good review. Looking forward to reading the book
Thank you for commenting.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Wow! I believe it's a book really worth reading, especially considering the characters are so well developed :) Thanks for a great review!
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

With the way I hate war and crisis, my prayer is that I never experience one in this lifetime. I'll pass this one. Nice review.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

What an intriguing review! I guess I must read the book. Great review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I was drawn by the title too. I was intrigued by how the Hindenberg figured in the story. Thank you for mentioning it at the review.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:

Post by Adanna Inya »

sssns wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 11:41 I was drawn by the title too. I was intrigued by how the Hindenberg figured in the story. Thank you for mentioning it at the review.
Nqobile771 wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 07:47 What an intriguing review! I guess I must read the book. Great review.
Cynthia Olyy wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 07:41 With the way I hate war and crisis, my prayer is that I never experience one in this lifetime. I'll pass this one. Nice review.
Ellylion wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 06:27 Wow! I believe it's a book really worth reading, especially considering the characters are so well developed :) Thanks for a great review!
Thank you guys for commenting. The book was really interesting. And I hope we never experience a war.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I love the way you started this review. It is a good hook. I also enjoyed reading your wonderful review. Good job, Adanna.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This review is catchy and interesting. I'm drawn to this book already. Nice one Ada.
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Sandia dialing a wrong combination of digits when trying to call a lawyer earns her a loyal friend, Donovan.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:

Post by Adanna Inya »

Tablito wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 07:18 Sandia dialing a wrong combination of digits when trying to call a lawyer earns her a loyal friend, Donovan.
Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 05:47 This review is catchy and interesting. I'm drawn to this book already. Nice one Ada.
Saint Bruno wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 05:09 I love the way you started this review. It is a good hook. I also enjoyed reading your wonderful review. Good job, Adanna.
Thank you for commenting guys. The book is a really interesting one.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

I can feel it already. This book is soooo interesting. All the themes are right up my alley. It sounds perfect. Thanks for telling us about this book, Adanna. Your writing was most awesome too. Nice one.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I have to be honest, if I just saw The Last Seat on the Hindenburg in a bookstore, I don't think I'd pick it up. However, your enthusiastic and beautifully written review just changed my mind. Thank you!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Wonderful! I enjoyed reading your review. This book seems really interesting. Now I want to know more. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”