Official Review: The Origin of Awareness

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Matthew's Rockin' World Superstars by Matthew W. Reese

Official Review: The Origin of Awareness

Post by Elvis Best »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Origin of Awareness" by Patricia Yunghanns.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Origin of Awareness, written by Patricia Yunghanns, is an intriguing novel that attempts to blend science and philosophy. In the book, Derrida Eramus, a young man in search of enlightenment, takes a year-long break from university to travel the world while deepening his knowledge of science and philosophy.

Throughout his journey, Derrida exchanges emails with Professor Rousseau, who is trying to mentor and provide him with high-quality scientific discourse. He also receives help from Professor Confucius, who provides him with much-needed knowledge on the U.S. Constitution. The Origin of Awareness, therefore, is a collection of the emails between Derrida and his professors.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the philosophical discourse in the novel, as it was quite refreshing. Personally, I am a big fan of philosophy, and so I am quite biased on this. Nevertheless, I believe The Origin of Awareness provided philosophical discourse that was both stimulating and thought-provoking.

Furthermore, the scientific discourse was rather detailed and well-researched, which caused me to imagine the sheer amount of effort the author put into writing this book. Certainly, lovers of science would appreciate the author’s effort.

Nonetheless, I had some issues with The Origin of Awareness. Firstly, I felt as though it had no specific focus, as it was just a discussion of certain scientific and philosophical topics. I also felt as though the philosophical and scientific discourse did not blend well, as it was often hard to shift gear from the heavy science talk to the relatively light philosophical one. In short, I would have appreciated it if the author stuck to one discipline — either philosophy or science.

Further, some parts of the book read like a research paper, which made it quite boring. Indeed, the novel is not a light read, as the reader would require deep focus to understand the concepts discussed in it. Consequently, I would not recommend The Origin of Awareness to readers looking for a light or entertaining read to pass time. Rather, I would recommend it to science and philosophy aficionados, as they are the perfect audience for this novel.

Considering the aforementioned points, I rate The Origin of Awareness 3 out of 4 stars. Although the novel was highly stimulating, I did not give it a full rating because of the issues that I mentioned above. Lastly, I believe it was professionally edited, as I found just a few errors in it.

The Origin of Awareness
View: on Bookshelves
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Tayejim1 »

As much as I loved science, I would have wished for the book to be more interesting. Thanks for a well-thought out review

Olabode Joshua
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 200
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: We're Here Because We're Not All There by William Kenneth Jones
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Finally Elvis! I'm doing a review for a philosophy book like this one too. I agree with you that this book is not a light read considering that it contains "heavy stuff." However, I'm sure there is a huge amount of knowledge to be gained, which means that I might be interested. Nice one, Elvis.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:

Post by Elvis Best »

Tayejim1 wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 06:07
As much as I loved science, I would have wished for the book to be more interesting. Thanks for a well-thought out review
Thanks for the comment

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:

Post by Elvis Best »

Olabode Joshua wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 14:00
Finally Elvis! I'm doing a review for a philosophy book like this one too. I agree with you that this book is not a light read considering that it contains "heavy stuff." However, I'm sure there is a huge amount of knowledge to be gained, which means that I might be interested. Nice one, Elvis.
Oh yeah, there's definitely good knowledge to be gained in the book. Thanks for stopping by, Olabode.

sssns
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by sssns »

an intriguing novel that attempts to blend science and philosophy
Interesting! I am curious about the approach unifying the tangible and the abstract. Thank you so much for the review.

lavenderbooks20
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavenderbooks20.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by lavenderbooks20 »

The topic sounds very intriguing. Such a shame that science and philosophy did not blend well in this book. Thanks for your very detailed and insightful review!

Saint Bruno
Currently Reading: Marbles Eye of the Tiger
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Live Stock, Dead Stock by Seymour Grufferman

Post by Saint Bruno »

Hm... Expect a thought-provoking book whenever an author merges science and philosophy. Thanks for your wonderful review and recommendation.

Bertha Jackson
Currently Reading: Paris in the Springtime
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The Grand Librarian by Dee Rose

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I am not sure I can handle that much science and philosophy. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org

rahilshajahan
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Its better to stick to either philosophy or science. A mix of both is never good; often one ends up contradicitng the other, and the if one supports the other, often the science behind the philosophy becomes very questionable. Thanks for an insightful review as always Elvis!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”