Official Review: The Fresno Incident by Philip L. Rettew

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: The Fresno Incident by Philip L. Rettew

Official Review: The Fresno Incident by Philip L. Rettew

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fresno Incident" by Philip L. Rettew.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The benevolent Chancellor Organization, with its vast network of professionals, is busy handling the cases of people who are victims of lifeā€™s heavy blows. The head of the organization, Duke Chancellor, together with his loyal ally, friend, and right-hand man, Joe, go beyond the imaginable to help the poor and vulnerable people in their world. Sammy, their new intelligent recruit and a seasoned computer geek, uses his expertise to do ā€˜specialā€™ communication with individuals as directed by his bosses, Joe and Duke. Little do they know that their country, the United States of America, would be in dire need of their services to solve a 9/11-like incident at Fresno. Meanwhile, life seems normal with Sasha, Duke Chancellorā€™s niece, offering her best talent, her magnificent vocal abilities, to entertain people in different places across America, including Fresno. On the other hand, Rasheed Shirani the leader of a big terrorist group from Pakistan is busy putting all the pieces together to yield one of the worldā€™s most terrifying terrorist attacks at Fresno.

Like water flowing from the top of a mountain through a long meandering river to the ocean, The Fresno Incident flows in a similar manner. Philip L. Rettew lets the reader gain some understanding of the main characters, their way of thinking, and their daily lives before creating events that bring all the characters together in what mimics real-life situations. I liked this feature of the novel the most. Some of the most interesting characters include Professor Holloway who needed to help one of his students, Janice Smith, to free her motherā€™s life from the greedy claws of a senator who was blackmailing her. Sammy, the computer geek, did a fantastic job in the most hilarious manner. When pure coincidence drops Jake Lewis in the audience of the talented Sasha, the reader is introduced to one of the strong threads of this interesting novel, as something beyond the normal arises between the two that lasts through the entire novel.

The thing I disliked about this novel is the presence of a graphic sexual scene. In my opinion, the novel would be just fine without that particular scene which I think could underwhelm many readers as well. It was totally not necessary. I also did not like the repetition of charactersā€™ descriptions whenever several of them met. I did not like it when a character took almost a page to give his/her contribution in a conversation.

The theme of the law of the jungle, which many people may call ā€˜survival for the fittestā€™, coupled with the great minds of the Chancellor Organization that believe that all human beings should be treated well and all evil should be dealt with, dominated the novel. It traverses all religious beliefs and belief systems. This leaves no room for religious extremists irrespective of the religion. I believe that the authorā€™s intention to promote goodness for all while dealing with all manner of evil was well delivered through this piece of literary work.

I give The Fresno Incident three out of four stars due to the reasons noted above. Undoubtedly, the book was professionally edited. I recommend it to readers who like to explore other peopleā€™s thoughts around terrorist attacks and how to deal with them. Crime investigation enthusiasts will find it interesting.

The Fresno Incident
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by RHD »

I'm not a crime investigation enthusiast myself. I like the fact that Philip has left religion out of it though. Thanks for your review.

Tablito
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Tablito »

Duke and Joe do good by going out of their own way to help the poor and the vulnerable in their world.

Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading: The OG Three and The Harmony
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Pluma »

This book sounds as if it explores an interesting topic from a unique viewpoint, and the storyline sounds intriguing. I think I will give it a miss though, due to the reasons you mentioned; I dislike it when books include overly graphic scenes unnecessarily. Thanks for your honest review!

SamaylaM
Currently Reading: The Shoeshine Boy
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by SamaylaM »

The plot is definitely intense and complex. However, I agree that constant character descriptions and graphic sexual content can sometimes really take away from the main focus of the plot. Thank you for this sincere and elaborate review!

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Manaskd
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by raluca_mihaila »

Promoting goodness is a form of education, so I applause the author's good intentions. Thank you for the informative review!

Return to ā€œOther Fiction Forumā€