Official Review: Separation of State by D.F. Brent Sr.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Official Review: Separation of State by D.F. Brent Sr.

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Separation of State" by D.F. Brent Sr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tommy Saury and Caleb Brenton have always been buddies. The connection between their families becomes more grounded following what is by all accounts a genuine connection between their individual children, Kat and Matty. However, Susan, Tommy’s wife, seems overly critical about everything the friendship between the families represents. She is searching for a way out of her union and continues to be an unfaithful spouse.

Meanwhile, Diego Assantino plots Karston Shilling’s rise to the United States’ presidency and does everything necessary to get it going. As part of Diego’s plan, Susan, who had always been a social justice warrior, is offered a role as the outreach coordinator for Big Blue, a consolidated union group led by Shilling. She hops on the offer not just in light of the fact that it is a decent one for her profession, but it also gives her an opportunity to be close to her obsession, Shilling. What does this role mean for her family? How did Diego’s plan facilitate the Great Separation? Who really is Diego Assantino? In this piece of fiction called Separation of State, D. F. Brent Sr. narrates the story of the events that led to the Great Separation and how these events affected the Saury and Brenton families.

The author has done a good job with this book. As Brent Sr. explores themes ranging from politics and freedom to seduction and lust, he develops the story and fits it into an engaging plot. Because of this, the story was easy to follow and had an air of realism to it. Readers with an affinity for fiction stories relating to politics will enjoy this read, and I highly recommend it. However, the profanities present throughout the text make it unsuitable for young or sensitive readers.

I was pleased with the way the novel ended; it was epic. Just when I thought the book’s conclusion was shallow because the author didn’t do justice to a remarkably important character's whereabouts, Brent Sr. cleared my doubts in the epilogue. I mean, the antagonist doesn’t always have to suffer at the end of the story. As it is, there may be room for a second book. I say this because I’m curious as to how Shillings’ country fared. I also feel there is an ulterior motive behind the facilitation of the Great Separation because of the novel's end.

Furthermore, the novel is expertly edited; I found only three minor errors throughout the text. Because of this, my reading flow was often maintained while I read. This book is sure to excite its reader, as there are a lot of interesting characters. The writer developed each of them well. The fact that the author used the third-person narrative style with dialogue also enhanced the characters. I was especially drawn to Susan's character. Even though she took up an antagonistic role, I loved her because she added some spice to the story. Most characters seemed a bit too flat to earn my attention. For example, Michelle was portrayed to be ‘too good,’ and there was nothing else to spice up her character.

The only thing I didn’t quite enjoy about this novel was the use of profanities, especially when a parent was communicating with their child; for example, the dialogues between Spark and Ty. Even if Ty was an adult, I found the frequent use of foul language in their conversations unnecessary. However, it didn’t detract from my overall enjoyment of the book. As a result, I rate Separation of State 4 out of 4 stars.

Separation of State
View: on Bookshelves
Charles Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-smith.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Charles Smith »

Great review! I love how you gave great description of the post but didn't reveal a any important event!
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

It's quite rare to see a reader like the antagonist of the story. It begs the question if Susan was the most interesting character in the book. I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Post by TCG »

This book has several characters, but I like Diego's character the most. Great work.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

Looks the description and characters are all interesting. Thank you for the great review!
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Two Hunters
Bookshelf Size: 737
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Girl with the Flat Tire by Leon Loy

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Politics, freedom, lust, and sex sounds like an interesting story. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Politics always tends to cause conflict. I like the idea of reading a book that is free of errors. Nice review!
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”