Official Review: Geneva's Truth by Tomeka Walker Ewing

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: Geneva's Truth by Tomeka Walker Ewing

Official Review: Geneva's Truth by Tomeka Walker Ewing

Post by Mindi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Geneva's Truth" by Tomeka Walker Ewing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Geneva's Truth is a very inspiring and heartfelt story by Tomeka Walker Ewing. Ewing tells this story almost like it is about her own true experiences, yet is is actually fictional. The character of Geneva seems like a very real person because of the strong probability that many women have lived life with similar circumstances to those that she faced.

The story is told from Geneva's point of view. When the reader meets Geneva in the first chapter, Geneva talks about that "one thing" that happens in most people's lives which changes their outlook on everything. Many times, that "one thing" is not a positive experience, yet the person that each of us becomes is affected greatly by that thing. Throughout the book, Geneva brings up that "one thing" a few times, but it is not until the end of the book that she reveals what that thing was in her own life. In the meantime, we learn Geneva's life story, which is that of a woman who appears to have everything in life, including a husband, kids, nice job, nice house, etc. However, her own inner life is less than perfect, and everything that she had appeared to have on the outside begins to quickly unravel. All of Geneva's downfalls in life lead her to feelings of depression and hopelessness. A few key experiences and significant people in her life, though, begin to help Geneva see that there is still hope and that she still has worth. Both positive and negative experiences, including that "one thing" that happens in the end, come together to change Geneva and her views of herself and life in general.

So much of this book was very inspiring. I cried along with Geneva as she went through all of the turmoil that seemed to tear her life apart. Each character held a special purpose in the story. Geneva's son and daughters, as well as her parents, each had a certain depth to their characters, and they seemed very realistic. When certain characters or situations caused pain for Geneva, I could feel the reality of these experiences. I enjoyed reading about the various family members and friends who helped Geneva and were there for her, even when she was at her lowest point. Despite being a fictional story, it held a lot of truth.

The book also has some religious aspects to it. Geneva credits God for helping her through many of the downfalls and lies in her life. However, the book does not focus so much on specific religious beliefs or preachiness. It is more about God's mercy and grace in the good and the bad times. It was very inspirational.

The only negative aspect of the book is that there are many grammar issues. It definitely needs some professional editing. The story was too good, though, to not read it based on those issues.

I definitely recommend this book for anyone looking for an inspiring story of a woman who has dealt with many losses and lies, yet has learned to put her trust in God and the people that love her. I feel like many readers will enjoy this book. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. The only thing keeping it from a perfect score is the editing. I still highly recommend this book, though.

Geneva's Truth
View: on Bookshelves

Saint Bruno
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Saint Bruno »

Geneva's experiences are worthy of learning from. I appreciate your insightful review and recommendation. Thank you!

Tonze
Currently Reading: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Tonze »

Geneva's story seems to be sad and inspirational too. what she has passed through can happen to anyone since we all have had downfall once or more than once in our life journey! Thanks for the deep review

Tablito
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Tablito »

Geneva is not alone at her lowest moment, she has her family members and friends with her.

shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by shreyagupta »

The title caught my attention, its quite unusual. The books looks like an interesting read, thanks for an insightful review.

LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 227
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: The Virtual Entity by Richard Street
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

With every chapter, I was getting more and more into the book. Until I got to the part that Geneva attributes the 'salvation' to a diety. Sadly, I cannot overcome this barrier.

Thank you for such a thorough and insighful review! It was a pleasure to read :)

Moray_001
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Moray_001 »

It sounds like a great book I would enjoy. Thanks for your review.

Blu_Poison
Favorite Book: Dorian Gray
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Blu_Poison »

Your review is very well written, the book is a classic story of tribulation and the emergence from that into God's comfort; an anecdote to all life really. God certainly does comfort his children. I do want to say though, a person's "outlook" on life changes a lot if he notices it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”