Official Review: A Child Left Behind by Phil Hutcheon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jsovermyer
Currently Reading: & Life Goes On...
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Official Review: A Child Left Behind by Phil Hutcheon

Post by Jsovermyer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Child Left Behind" by Phil Hutcheon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who would have thought one small child could change so many people and be the thread that tied them all together? When Alicia, the Latina waitress at Clara’s hole-in-the-wall Mexican diner, saw the dirty White girl run out of the ladies’ restroom, she thought she would have a mess to clean up. What she discovered instead was completely unexpected, a tiny caramel-colored baby wrapped in an overcoat discarded on the floor. A Child Left Behind by Phil Hutcheon is the dramatic, touching, and sometimes comical story of little Brianna and the people affected by her abandonment.

The author tells the story with a narrative approach using short chapters with different speakers. Each character tells the story from his or her point-of-view, some sympathetic, some cynical, and some outright liars. They seem to be talking directly to you. There are many crazy characters. We meet Tyreke, the foul-mouthed baby-daddy, Martha, the ex-drug addict born-again Christian, Moua, the virgin Asian college-student who runs a phone-sex business on the side, and Jack, the gun-loving Vietnam veteran who lives in the garage. I loved how each character was so different in their views and speech-pattern.

My favorite character is Alicia, who is a waitress and an illegal immigrant. She tells a heart-breaking tale of how she came to the United States. She is working and going to college to become a doctor. She has dreams and is determined to make something of herself in this new country. She is sympathetic, genuinely warm, and cares deeply about what happens to this discarded child. Another fun character is Clara Birdsong, who is a part-Cherokee widow and owner of the diner. She is a strong independent woman and wants to see Alicia succeed.

This story is mainly about child abandonment, abortion, and adoption, but it also delves into other controversial topics. It shows different sides of drug-use, immigration, military service, police corruption, religion, politics, and even pit-bull ownership. Some of the religious and political viewpoints may be offensive to some readers. However, I found it refreshing the author was unafraid to show all sides and let his characters tell it as they felt.

The things I disliked the most were that some points of the story were incomplete and were left as cliffhangers. The author did this on purpose. He wanted the reader to think about what had happened and decide for himself how the story should end. At the end of the book are “Questions for Discussion” that could be used as a class or book club study guide.

Mr. Hutcheon currently teaches at Delta College, a community college in California. In the “An Interview With The Author” section, he says some of the characters and events in this book come from the real-life stories of his students.

I loved this book and the zany characters. Be warned that some of the characters use much profanity. Because of the language, I would recommend this book for adults only. There is some discussion of sex but no actual sex scenes. This book was written to be honest and has a no-holds-barred attitude. It is sure to be offensive to some, but I hope it will also make people think. This book was professionally edited, and I found no grammatical or spelling errors. I am awarding A Child Left Behind by Phil Hutcheon with 4 out of 4 stars. It deserves this high rating because of the authentic characters, its courage to take on controversial topics, and the unique storyline.

A Child Left Behind
View: on Bookshelves

Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Wow this a very inspiring novel, I would like to read more about it. Thanks for the detailed review
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Blue Summer by Jim Nichols

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This book deals with some weighty topics; it sounds like an emotional rollercoaster, so I would need to be in the right mind set to read it. You wrote a compelling review; thank you!

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Brothas from Anotha Motha by Timothy "TBone" Hicks
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Fot all the zany and colourful characters the book has, those are some pretty weighty topics to deal with. Seems like the author has quite the book on his hands with this one.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: The Lost Art of Mixing
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Post by Bookworm101520 »

This book sounds absolutely fascinating! Thank you for a thorough and entertaining review!

MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: I am Fearless by Quintero Caldwell

Post by MsH2k »

I love the sound of this book! I’m glad the characters are free to share their true feelings on the many topics you mention. I think I’ll add this one to my list. Thanks for your recommendation. Great review!

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Nqobile771 »

Thanks for a detailed review. This sounds like a relatable story worth reading.

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Magnify3 »

Too many children get left behind, it is so sad. I hope that baby ended up with a good family. Thanks for this review.

Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pluma »

This book sounds like it deals with some tough and controversial topics in a heartwarming way. I like that the characters are so diverse, and it sounds like it makes for an entertaining and unique read. Thank you for your great review!

AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

What character combination is this? 😄 I find it amusing.
This sounds like a really interesting book. It also delves into social vices. I'm eager to check it out.
Your review is really good and intriguing as well.
Live and let live, baby!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”