Official Review: A Few Trivial Felonies by Sandra Sperling

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: A Few Trivial Felonies by Sandra Sperling

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Few Trivial Felonies" by Sandra Sperling.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fed up with the freezing winters in Minnesota, Rachel and Nick Christenson decided to move to Oregon. This decision came after researching different areas and realizing that Oregon most fit in with their requirements of a new place to live; affordable, plenty of land, and warmer than northern Minnesota. If Nick retired early, they could live off his pension. Rachel could also relinquish her job as a child-welfare counselor, which she had become disillusioned with. Nick had suffered some minor strokes previously, but he seemed to improve upon moving to Oregon.

Rachel met her neighbor Ruth soon after moving, and they became close friends. Their homes were within sight of the ocean, except there were trees on the neighboring uninhabited land that were obstructing their views. Because they didn’t mind breaking a few rules if the risk of getting caught was low, Rachel and Ruth began slowly removing the trees.

One day, Nick had another stroke, and soon after that, he had the one that caused his demise. Rachel discovers that she would only get about a hundred dollars a month in income from her husband’s pension. With no job opportunities and several years before she will be eligible for social security, she is now in a financial dilemma. Rachel and Ruth have to put their heads together to come up with a solution to the problem that doesn’t involve dangerous activities like drugs or robbing banks. Unfortunately, Vivian, another neighbor, is becoming suspicious that things aren’t as they seem at their homes. She is a greedy, vindictive woman who won’t hesitate to get them into trouble.

A Few Trivial Felonies by Sandra Sperling is an absolutely hilarious book with a surprising twist at the end. The cover page caught my attention right away and enticed me to read the story. The 280-page novel is written from the third-person point of view, mostly from Rachel and Vivian’s perspectives. The author’s straightforward, descriptive prose comes across as a little crude at times, but it fits the personalities of the characters. An example is when their drain fields froze while in Minnesota, causing them to construct a temporary, illegal outhouse from “a cardboard and lathe freezer crate”: “He built the bench so high that when she sat on the icy platform her feet dangled uncomfortably. She contracted an intestinal bug and suffered from the green-drizzling s**ts for an entire week, expressing her scathing opinion of the frigid region on the toilet walls with a red marker.” It had me chuckling early in the story and laughing out loud at other times. The humor represented my favorite aspect of the book.

The character development was superbly written, making me feel as though I knew Rachel and Ruth especially. They had several attributes in common, both being fearless and tough Minnesota women living off their husbands’ pensions, who were willing to break a few rules.

No sex was described in the book, although scenes were encountered in which nudity was used to create comedy. There were some profanities in the novel. Subsequently, children or sensitive readers might want to consider something else to read.

Only three minor errors were encountered in the entire book, causing me to think it was professionally edited. There was nothing about the novel that I didn’t like; therefore, as this story was a pleasure to read, it achieves a rating of four out of four stars. It is enthusiastically recommended to readers who enjoy captivating, well-written tales with a lot of humor and some crime thrown in for good measure. Readers who feel the law shouldn’t be disregarded under any circumstances might not enjoy the novel very much, although I think almost everyone will get a kick out of it. I look forward to reading her next book.

A Few Trivial Felonies
View: on Bookshelves
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

Looks like an interesting read as i can see the characters might have been forced to do some unethical things. A book with a little humor and some twist and turns always captures my attention. Thanks for a detailed review.
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kevivas03 »

In my time as a reviewer, I have rarely encountered books with a plot that sounds interesting and hilarious such as the one you have described above. Lucky reviewer you are! I love a good laugh and I trust that I will surely get a kick out of this read. What can two women living off their husbands' pensions do really to survive besides break the law a little?
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Vivian must be a nightmare Rachel wants to wake up from given that the book is mostly written from the perspective of the two.
antilochos
Currently Reading: How to Define Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by antilochos »

I am really excited for the surprising twist in the end that you described. I like how informative your review is.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

The title and cove page of this book screams 'read me!'. I definitely would read it if given the chance.
Beautiful review.
Live and let live, baby.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

I was also attracted by the cover of the book. Looks this is a well-plotted book. Thank you for the great review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

shreyagupta wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 03:52 Looks like an interesting read as i can see the characters might have been forced to do some unethical things. A book with a little humor and some twist and turns always captures my attention. Thanks for a detailed review.
I enjoyed the humor especially now, with the stress we have in today's world. Thanks for reading my review!
Anna Dougherty
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-dougherty.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Anna Dougherty »

This book seems like it contains great humor. Nice review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kevivas03 wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 04:08 In my time as a reviewer, I have rarely encountered books with a plot that sounds interesting and hilarious such as the one you have described above. Lucky reviewer you are! I love a good laugh and I trust that I will surely get a kick out of this read. What can two women living off their husbands' pensions do really to survive besides break the law a little?
I was, indeed, lucky to read this book, and I agree with you about loving a good laugh. I hope you get a chance to read it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Tablito wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 05:15 Vivian must be a nightmare Rachel wants to wake up from given that the book is mostly written from the perspective of the two.
She definitely is not a nice person. :lol: There has to be some conflict in every book. Right? Thanks for stopping by.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

antilochos wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 05:25 I am really excited for the surprising twist in the end that you described. I like how informative your review is.
Thanks so much for your kind words. I hope you enjoy the book!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 06:21 The title and cove page of this book screams 'read me!'. I definitely would read it if given the chance.
Beautiful review.
I felt the same way about the title and cover page! I hope you get a chance to read it; I'm sure you would love it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ada Ling wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 11:18 I was also attracted by the cover of the book. Looks this is a well-plotted book. Thank you for the great review!
Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Anna Dougherty wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 14:27 This book seems like it contains great humor. Nice review!
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for the comments!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”