Official Review: Sink or Swim, Brooklyn by ron kemper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: From a Legend of Darkness into Poems of Hope by Antionette Campbell

Official Review: Sink or Swim, Brooklyn by ron kemper

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sink or Swim, Brooklyn" by ron kemper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Environments make or mar people — people's environments contribute significantly to who they are and become. Growing up in Brooklyn is what Ron Kemper attempts to display in Sink or Swim, Brooklyn.

The story was set in the 1990s after the great depression and World War Two. It revolved around Steve Alpet, who suffered from a lot of allergies at the early stages of his life. As a growing child, he suffered from measles, mumps, whooping cough, bronchitis, and ear infections. When he was three years old, he was hospitalized for four days with pneumonia. He lived at the mercy of pills and capsules. Ziggy Kahn, the family doctor, tried out different medications, treatments, remedies, salves, oils, and lotions to ensure he survived. How Steve got through life in the rough streets of Brooklyn were captured in this highly emotional book.

I love the way the author infused different writing styles to make the book fun and engaging. This book was a mix of formal and relaxed writing. The author employed a third-person omniscient narrative technique throughout the novel. He maintained dialogues while revealing the unspoken thoughts of each character, thereby letting the reader in on the tiny details.

The author didn't just write a book; he took the time to educate me — and the potential reader — on what it was like to grow up in Brooklyn in the 1990s. I couldn't help but imagine the lifestyle that was prevalent at that time. I also wondered what kind of person I would be considering some of the factors that affected the type of life people lived then.

From the author's detailed description of the setting, it was evident that he had lived in Brooklyn. His use of words depicted an in-depth knowledge of Brooklyn — it couldn't have just been as a result of research. I found his detailed description of children's play and games quite fascinating.

The brevity of the chapters was what I liked most about this book. When I saw the table of contents, I was alarmed to discover that the book had 84 chapters. It felt overwhelming at first as I tried to make sense of why the book had that many chapters. However, when I started reading this book, I noticed that I covered many chapters in a short time. Because the chapters were short and straightforward, I didn't get bored at any point.

The book was professionally edited, as I did not find any errors in the book. I rate it four out of four stars. I recommend it to anyone who loves reading classics with an American setting.

Sink or Swim, Brooklyn
View: on Bookshelves

Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Ada Ling »

I can feel the struggle of the main character Steve while reading your review. Thank you for introducing this book!

Tonze
Currently Reading: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Tonze »

The story seems to be enjoyable,what Steve has endured since her childhood seems to be complicated. I will take a look on it! Thanks for this great review

Saint Bruno
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Saint Bruno »

Books that educate are always welcome. Thanks for this wonderful and insightful review. Good job and thanks again for the recommendation.

Tablito
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Tablito »

Kemper manages to convince the reader that he actually lived in Brooklyn, this makes the book original.

Natis19
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Natis19 »

The author lets the reader know the hardships and struggles he experienced during the 1990’s while living in Brooklyn . This book teaches the reader valuable lessons and let’s the reader know skittle bit about how life was like after the Great Depression and after world war 2 .

Faithy_Star
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Culy Calhoun by E. Townsend

Post by Faithy_Star »

This seems like an enjoyable read. Thanks for this review.

LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 227
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: The Virtual Entity by Richard Street
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I am only familiar with Brooklyn to a degree that it is represented in popular culture, such as films or music videos. This book wouldn't usually be of the genre that I pick but, having read your review, I feel really tempted. I think the most attractive thing I find about it is the following:

'He maintained dialogues while revealing the unspoken thoughts of each character, thereby letting the reader in on the tiny details.'

The latter is so hard to master through the medium of a written word!

Thank you for such a thorough, beautifully-written, and inviting review :)

Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: The Paris Photo by Jane S. Gabin

Post by Slater678 »

It will be good reading about the former times in Brooklyn as narrated by the author in this book. Thanks for the interesting review.

Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Steve must have gone through a lot, I like how the author described the character, you did a detailed review. Keep it up
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”