Official Review: Y. Vonne Beck by L. R. Gerstein

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Hogs in the Sand by Buck Wyndham

Official Review: Y. Vonne Beck by L. R. Gerstein

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Y. Vonne Beck" by L. R. Gerstein.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A time comes in our lives when we have to make critical decisions that affect our destiny and life's mission. The choices we make at these precarious moments determine whether we succeed or fail in our quest to fulfill our life's purpose. This is the central message of L. R. Gerstein's Y. Vonne Beck?

The tale revolves around Vonne Beck, who had to take the responsibility of fending for herself and her son after she lost her mom. She would do anything to give her son a life that was better than what she had. Hence, she was confronted with both survival and responsibilities.

Vonne's original name was Yvonne. However, a mistake while registering her birth turned it to Y. Vonne. She lost her mom to heart failure on the first night of Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. While dealing with that, she discovered that she was pregnant for Ken Terada. Her father sent her out of the house because he didn't accept Ken, and he couldn't stand the shame. How would Vonne handle what life was throwing at her as a 15-year-old?

I applaud the author for putting together an emotional story that grips the reader from start to finish. This fast-paced book kept me glued to it; I only took pee breaks in between. I liked the way the subplots connected to the overall theme of the story. Hence, there were no holes in the plot. The story flowed seamlessly, and I was never lost at any point. I had a swell time reading this book.

The storyline of this book is relatable. If you have teenagers who want to explore the world without caring about the repercussions of their actions, you can identify with Vonne's story. I like that the author tells this tale without prejudicing teenagers. On the contrary, the book provides loads of lessons for teenagers and young adults on taking responsibility.`

My best part of this book was the character development. The author created relatable characters that displayed the message of the book perfectly. I particularly like the naivety of Vonne. All she wanted to do was be the average teenager. However, how she handled the events that played out in her life was typical of a teenager. This was one of the many instances the author won my heart with the characters in this book.

There was nothing to dislike about this book. The writing was on point, the story was creatively told, and the editing was professional. Frankly, I was awed that I couldn't find a single grammatical or typographical error. Therefore, I rate Y. Vonne Beck? 4 out of 4 stars. If you appreciate a creatively crafted emotional tale, you will enjoy this book. Due to the profanity level in this book, I would recommend parental guidance for readers below the age of 13.

Y. Vonne Beck
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Tablito
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Tablito »

Vonne wants her son's life to be better than hers, this is typical of parents.

Kevivas03
2019 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kevivas03 »

Teenage pregnancies are rife these days. This book could be a teacher to teenagers and young adults, especially girls on how to handle life situations.

LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 227
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: The Virtual Entity by Richard Street
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

This does not sound like my genre as I prefer to escape the real world when I read. But I like well written books and good character development. So now \i find myself torn :)

Thank you for such a thorough and inviting review :)

Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Ada Ling »

This seems a well written book. Thank you for the review!

dm1971
Currently Reading: Schmooze
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by dm1971 »

I think the book's premise will appeal mostly to single moms and their children. I am intrigued by this emotional story that I might want to read this in the future.

AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Your review and rating already says 'This is a really good book'. I like the storyline of this book. Honestly, I can't fully imagine how a pregnant 15-year-old would survive alone. This is gonna be a really emotional ride.
Nice review.
Live and let live, baby!

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Blue Summer by Jim Nichols

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Vonne sounds like a teen that has been forced to grow up quickly. I hope that she is successful and she is able to provide her son with a good life. Thanks for the lovely review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”