Official Review: The Watcher Book One In The Valleys Of T...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 188
Currently Reading: Dark Illusion
Bookshelf Size: 217
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: Camp Arcanum by Josef Matulich
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Official Review: The Watcher Book One In The Valleys Of T...

Post by Kelyn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Watcher Book One In The Valleys Of The Earth" by R.R. Rose.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Normally, I put trigger warnings in my opinion section of the review. However, the nature of The Watchers Book One: In the Valleys of the Earth, by R.R. Pearl (hereafter referred to as The Watchers), compels me to give them now. The Watchers is a male/male romance and adventure novel which contains explicit intimate encounters. There is also violence up to and including emotionless murder. Minor cursing occurs throughout the book. If any of these plot points offends or disturbs you, I strongly encourage you to look elsewhere for reading material.

Still Here? Excellent! Onward!

Dr. Alexander Ranulf Ian Coimhead sounds like the name of a distinguished, possibly somewhat stuffy, old professor sitting in an armchair smoking a pipe, doesn’t it? Umm… not so much. Alec is an acknowledged expert in the field of Xenoarchaeology, but he is far from old and stuffy. Excitable and impulsive would be better descriptors for him. Luckily, he has Clemy. Ahem, I mean Dr. Clementine Armisted. Fellow archeologist and BFF rolled into one small package of energy and logic; she is an important side character adept at pulling Alec out of whatever trouble his impulsiveness has caused. As the book opens, the pair are working a dig in Egypt, which Alec vehemently believes to be the site of Duadel (the prison site of Azazel, a high-level fallen angel). An ancient tablet has been found, and though Clemy cautions Alec not to handle the artifact unnecessarily, well… you know he does it anyway.

At his first touch, the tablet glows an eerie blue, and Alec is mentally thrown back in time to witness an inconceivable battle between angels and twisted creatures from Hell. He sees something else as well. An ethereally beautiful, angelic warrior turns and looks at him with emerald eyes hooded with both recognition and something more. This is Alec’s first glimpse of Raphael “Rafe” and the first spark of the love that is to come. As he returns to himself, as in any adventure novel, all hell (not literally) breaks loose.

The Watchers is a fast-paced and thrilling adventure reminiscent of George Lucas’ Indiana Jones and The Seal of Solomon, by K.T. Tomb, with a sizzling, intense, and perhaps forbidden, romance thrown in for good measure. I think my favorite feature of the book, besides the romance aspect, is the thread of humor woven throughout the story. Rafe has a particularly enjoyable dry wit. The world-building was competent. Both present-day and ‘historical’ environments were described in enough detail that the reader can easily ‘see’ them, and each scene is skillfully written to enhance the action happening at that moment. However, it went no further than that. The author deftly tossed in unforeseen twists at every turn. The final twist at the end actually had me cursing. I was tempted to throw my tablet at the wall. (I didn’t.)

Our protagonists, Alec and Rafe (Raphael), were engaging characters from the moment I ‘met’ them. Rafe was particularly intriguing. Strikingly handsome, he is a man shrouded in secrets, which he is reluctant to share with Alec, despite the strong emotional pull between them. No amount of snooping or questioning by Alec weakens his resolve to have his past remain buried. Obviously more than he appears to be, his role is that of a bodyguard turned lover (eventually), and he is intensely protective of Alec. He is the character who experienced the most growth in the story. Beginning as taciturn and closed to the world, we see him slowly open up to the possibility of an intimate relationship. This progression creates slow-burn anticipation within the blossoming romance.

Alec was a fun and enjoyable character. He had a mischievous streak a mile wide and a highly amusing zest for sharing his incomparable knowledge of history at the most inappropriate of times, such as during a battle. He was good-looking and no slouch in a fight. An expert with throwing-knives, he saved Rafe’s life on several occasions. However, I had a very distinct problem with Alec. Overall, he was portrayed as a competent, confident adult. However, there were times when he inexplicably acted in an incredibly juvenile manner. This was a major issue in his development as a character. Every time he seemed to be maturing, he would then unexpectedly do something childish again. Worse still, every time Rafe looks at him with even a hint of interest (intimate or otherwise), he melts into a puddle of goo and suddenly becomes the stereotype of the female in a dime romance novel. For instance, in their conversations, the author often used the word “giggles” to indicate how Alec laughed. Even though Alec and Rafe are positively adorable together, there is a huge disconnect in behavior here.

Despite that significant problem, I enjoyed reading The Watchers. The book seemed well-edited. I found only a handful of countable errors and a few formatting problems. After some debate, I reached the decision to rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I just could not get past Alec’s inconsistent character development. I would recommend it for adults eighteen and older who enjoy light sci-fi and fast-paced action-adventure storylines. Because of the erotic content, I do not recommend it for anyone younger than eighteen. I hope you enjoy this initial journey into the Valleys of the Earth.

The Watcher Book One In The Valleys Of The Earth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
I think it's a good thing that life isn't fair...if it was, it would mean we deserve all the bad things that happen to us. :eusa-think: - Marcus - Deep Space Nine

Tablito
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Tablito »

Alec's rational friend and colleague, Clemy, comes through for him and gets him out of the trouble he gets himself in.

Viczboy16
Currently Reading: Perfectly Famous
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Viczboy16 »

As the saying goes ”one man’s meat is another man’s poison”, the male/male romance would be an attractive feature for some. However, the plot twists is something that would make me interested in the book. A plot twist that can make one close to smashing his tablet :D . Thanks for this review.

TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: Moving In-house by Kasper Sierslev

Post by TCG »

This book sounds adventurous. But because of the explicit content, I'll pass this one. Great job.

Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Ada Ling »

Like the zest and layout of your review. Thank you!

Kelyn

Post by Kelyn »

Tablito wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 02:27
Alec's rational friend and colleague, Clemy, comes through for him and gets him out of the trouble he gets himself in.
She does indeed...repeatedly. Of course when the romance is 'sparked,' Rafe takes over that role. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
I think it's a good thing that life isn't fair...if it was, it would mean we deserve all the bad things that happen to us. :eusa-think: - Marcus - Deep Space Nine

Kelyn

Post by Kelyn »

Viczboy16 wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 02:28
As the saying goes ”one man’s meat is another man’s poison”, the male/male romance would be an attractive feature for some. However, the plot twists is something that would make me interested in the book. A plot twist that can make one close to smashing his tablet :D . Thanks for this review.
I was both furious and aghast at the same time. It spells HUGE trouble for Alec and Rafe. Thankfully, I controlled my urge and my tablet remains intact. Thanks for dropping in and commenting!

Kelyn

Post by Kelyn »

TCG wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 08:30
This book sounds adventurous. But because of the explicit content, I'll pass this one. Great job.
If you don't like that kind of writing, that's probably for the best. Thanks for dropping in and commenting!

Kelyn

Post by Kelyn »

Ada Ling wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 10:57
Like the zest and layout of your review. Thank you!
Thank you so much, both for the compliment and for stopping by and leaving a comment!

rahilshajahan
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

First off, your review is awesome!! Alec and Rafe seems like a power couple: one is an angel and well... the other can throw knives I guess. Will add this book to my shelf.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright

Kelyn

Post by Kelyn »

rahilshajahan wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 06:15
First off, your review is awesome!! Alec and Rafe seems like a power couple: one is an angel and well... the other can throw knives I guess. Will add this book to my shelf.
LOL, there's a lot more to Alec than his skill with throwing knives. You'll see when you read the book. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Kanda_theGreat
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Your writing style interests me, Kelyn. Your review did the impeccable task of enticing any reader of thrillers to take chances with this book.
Good job!

Kelyn

Post by Kelyn »

Kanda_theGreat wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 01:15
Your writing style interests me, Kelyn. Your review did the impeccable task of enticing any reader of thrillers to take chances with this book.
Good job!
Thank you for the lovely compliment! I'm glad you enjoyed reading the review. Should you be one of those enticed to read the book, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Last Seat on the Hindenburg by Charley Brindley

Post by Adanna Inya »

This genre is truly not my thing. I ignored your warning and truly tried, lol. Going back in time to witness a war between angels and twisted creatures from hell? I'm passing out. A beautiful review you've written.

Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

It may not be something I would like to read. But then, I like the approach you took on the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”