Review by LuciusM -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Review by LuciusM -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by LuciusM »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters is a novel by Michelle Cummings that features friendship, lives, and adventures of fly fishing by a group of five girls Sophie, Amanda, veronica, Rose, and Melody, who is the last to join them. Each one of them is unique and different.

Melody was taking outdoor nude pictures of herself next to a river when her foot slips from the stone she was stepping. She plunged into the river that swept her downstream. She was saved by the other four who were fly fishing downstream. Her life changed and became part of the reel sisters. Characters take turns telling the story in first-person narration. Through this technique, the characters take the reader into their confidence.

Reading this book was like watching my favorite television series. The organization rendered me speechless. Each section of the book appeared like an episode where the writer introduced conflict and resolved it slowly as the story progressed. I could not wait to know what happened next. I was stunned by the author’s topic on the sport of fly fishing. I found it educative. Through the narration by Rose, who is the master of fly fishing, she elaborated on the theory behind it that I felt I wanted to try it out. It became real and practical. The writer, through the characters, has given sources of information that she used to write the book. I was amazed to learn from the book that fish have a strong digestive acid that dissolves metals.

I liked how the author used vivid descriptions to stir emotions in readers. Honestly, I was fascinated by the story of Amanda. I sympathized with her during the loneliness of missing her husband after being deployed in Afghanistan for one year. I had to hold onto my pillow tight not to cry when I was reading through the call part between them. The imagery brought out was real.

In contrast, the author used some profane language I was unable to bear. Characters are at some point hurling curses at one another. Some readers may find the book distasteful. As a result, I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars. I did not encounter any error in writing showing the book was well-written. I recommend this book to mature readers who love fly fishing as a sport as well as those who may wish to learn it. The book will act as a guide.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
Mohammed_Sameer2
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Favorite Book: Listening with the Eye - An Asemic Notebook - Volume 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohammed-sameer2.html
Latest Review: Days of Future Found by M. K. Wark

Post by Mohammed_Sameer2 »

Hi LuciusM, It is a good review of the book, and you you refer to the plot, the inner voices and the world of hunting fish in the book. I confirm that those books give their readers the pleasure of adventure, then they create a new narrative world that we can see through it the purpose of the work. Have a great time.
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

I liked how it uses fly fishing as a metaphor of life struggles. The book also features women empowerment, too. Nice review.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
Sushan
Currently Reading: The Borders of Normal
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: The Deadly Five by Raymond Maher
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan »

This is a book that I reviewed sometime ago, and I loved it. Seemingly you have found some dark aspects as well. Nice and a well balanced review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

The book seemed to you like a tv series. This makes me willing to read the book 📖.
MuthoniMuriithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muthonimuriithi.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MuthoniMuriithi »

A very nice review Lucius. I might want to read the book.
ROMANS 8:31
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

I enjoy how the women are able to take up a hobby that is peculiar to men. Thanks for the insightful review.
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

I've been curious about this one, seeing it in the volunteerreview list all the time. Your review really clarifies things for me! With the distasteful profanity though, I don't think the book is for me. Thanks for the review! :D
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

From your review, it's obvious the author did a lot of research on the topic and wrote an informative book. I don't think I would enjoy it because I don't find fly fishing entertaining, but I like the mentions of obstacles the characters had to face in their lives. Thank you for the review!
gabrielletiemi
Currently Reading: História do Cerco de Lisboa
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielletiemi.html
Latest Review: Growth by Jon Pulli

Post by gabrielletiemi »

This book brings all the aspects of a lovely friendship. There are indeed some scenes that are so sad. But I really enjoyed it when I read it. Thanks for the informative review!
Latest Review: Growth by Jon Pulli
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I also read this book, and I have to say Amanda's story really touched me. Great review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Mukukamm30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukukamm30.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mukukamm30 »

I reviewed this book and I really found it interesting. It was so gripping that every time I took a break, I was so looking forward to putting everything on hold and getting back on the pages. It was just unfortunate that the ending took an unexpected twist. Amanda was my favorite character as well.
Great review although I am unhappy that you docked a star for my favorite book. Anyway, you are right when it comes to profanities. Some people may not fathom them too well.
Moray_001
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Moray_001 »

I’ve also read and reviewed this book. Amanda’s aspect of the story was really touching. You’ve written a great review.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

I liked the harmony and camaraderie. They connected with one another through the sport. I blame Amanda for what happened to her. Good job!
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
kdstrack
2021 Reading Goal: 105
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: At the Feet of Serenity by Eve Gwartney

Post by kdstrack »

The friendship between these women is beautiful. I loved the way you described the book like a television series. It will be interesting to read about Amanda. Thanks for the fascinating review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”