Official Review: A Gift Returned by Dennis Sheehan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Official Review: A Gift Returned by Dennis Sheehan

Post by Amanda Deck »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Gift Returned" by Dennis Sheehan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Gift Returned by Dennis Sheehan reads like a superhero novel, full of excitement and danger with the fate of the world at stake. In the first chapters we meet Bill Mitchell, a white boy growing up in a black ghetto neighborhood. He had to learn to be tough and show no fear to earn the respect of – and stop being beaten up by – the other kids and teens in his area. He was helped by several people, notably a priest who inspired him to enter the priesthood as well. Helping people is what Bill felt was his purpose in life. But priests are entrusted with secrets that some don’t want shared.

I say this book feels like a superhero novel because the goods guys have access to seemingly infinite supplies of troops, money, contacts, and intelligence. Coincidentally, as I decided it was reaching ridiculous levels, I heard a news broadcast someone was listening to that quoted insane amounts of money, contacts, and intel that went into dealing with an international situation. So perhaps it’s not as unrealistic as I had at first thought.

The first part of the book was quite good and I felt invested in Bill’s life. After a while, with so many characters and locations introduced, I got confused about who was who and where what was happening. The author’s problem with names didn’t help. Deputy Director of the FBI is Bill Young – until a third of the way through when he becomes Collin, sometimes Colin. Later the poor guy walked down a hall and turned into Paul! Then there was Joan Fisk, or is it Frisk? Apparently the author couldn’t decide and so went with Fiske instead. Still, the story was crammed full of suspense, danger, and action with a serious shocker of an ending!

There were far too many errors of all types to give this high marks. Several rounds of corrections are needed. It’s also full of profanity and some seriously sickening scenes of sex and violence. The book is extremely anti-Muslim.

It was very interesting to read about some of the political machinations and power-mongering, but there was so much hatred! It was like watching the news, but with much more insider information than I would like to be real. Though it’s true that this is fiction, so much of it is possibly closer to reality than we might imagine.

Because of the errors and sickening scenes, I’m taking off a star and giving 3 out of 4 stars. I would give only two except that thinking of it as a superhero novel makes it more acceptable. It’s written for a male conservative, militantly nationalistic western-world audience. I didn't particularly enjoy it, but if you're the right audience, you might.

A Gift Returned
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

Thank you for the explicit review. I will pass on reading this one.

Tablito
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Tablito »

It's sad how racism slowly creeps into the lives of even children. Bill, who is white, has to toughen up while growing up in a black ghetto hood.

HusainNecklace52
2019 Reading Goal: 40
Favorite Book: The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto
Currently Reading: A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husainnecklace52.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by HusainNecklace52 »

This is a really nice review, it is abundantly clear how you feel about it and your fascination with the book makes us want to read it as well!
Thank you for sharing :)

Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Sounds exciting! I wish to read this book someday. Thanks for your wonderful review.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Why A Refuge by Michael George

Post by Prisallen »

After reading your review, I don't think this is the book for me. I don't think the majority of Muslim people are bad, and I'm afraid a book like this would cause more prejudice than there already is--which is a lot. I really enjoyed reading your review, though!

Wy_Bertram
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: The Elixirist by Avraham Azrieli

Post by Wy_Bertram »

I really dislike such prejudiced books. Anything too religious or anti-religious in this case is a red flag for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it in any case. Great work on the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”