Who instilled a love of reading in you?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Freespirit
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freespirit.html

Who instilled a love of reading in you?

Post by Freespirit »

Hey guys, 4th post here,

Is there a special someone who instilled a love of reading in you?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

My parents. They have read to me when I was a kid and they have read themselves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Jenn+books
Favorite Author: Anne Tyler
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Always a Shakespeare
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenn-books.html
fav_author_id: 6534

Post by Jenn+books »

I suppose that it was my mother, who read bedtime books to me when I was little, but I don't remember seeing her read much when I was young. I think the biggest reason I love to read is that we didn't have much in the way of TV when I was young--like two channels with the rabbit ears on a black and white TV. If I wanted a good story or some distraction it had to be a book!
booksprite+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksprite.html

Post by booksprite+ »

The most influential person who instilled my reading habit is my mother. She read to me every night and made sure to take me to the library every week. I have fond memories of "The Jungle Book", as well as "when we we were very young" and Beatrix Potter!
hasmartz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasmartz.html

Post by hasmartz »

It was my mother, also. She read to me, she took me to the library, and I always saw her reading. I think one of the things that made the biggest impact was that she never judged my taste in books. She always wanted to hear about what I was reading, even when it wasn't her taste at all.
morganinga
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganinga.html

Post by morganinga »

I think I have instilled a love of reading in myself. I read because it allows me to envision something that movies just give to you, and I love the freedom of my own imagination. But at the same time, my mom always has a ton of books laying around so when I was younger I think I just subconsciously navigated towards reading. Now I am completely bogged down with nursing school yet all I want to do is pick up another book. Series are the worst, because I finish one and go right to the next book. Its exhausting, but I love it. :D
Edwards1

Post by Edwards1 »

MY own mind and imagination. Before there was Preschool or kindergarden one most likely didn't read until they went to school. I had a sister two years older and I watched all the colorful books she brought home and watched her study, so I learned watching her. Needless to say when 1st grade rolled around when they passed out THE LITTLE TRAIN THAT COULD, I read it that night and returned it the next day and was yelled at by my teacher that I had to keep it to learn to read. Well my parents found out that evening that I already could read. It shows you how much they paid attention. I can't stop NOW.
batessurveys
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batessurveys.html

Post by batessurveys »

When I was a baby, to help my brothers improve their reading skills, my mom had them read to me. Their books of choice were Hardy Boys, and now, 30 years later, I still have a love of Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. And thanks to them, I was reading at about three years old and haven't been able to stop since!
marnyesiam7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marnyesiam7.html

Post by marnyesiam7 »

Been thinking hard but no one comes to mind. Guess it's just me. It was a New Year's resolution. The only resolution I actually took seriously. I love reading <3
NCReaderGirl
Favorite Author: JR Ward Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: Island of the Blue Dolphins
Currently Reading: Ignite

Post by NCReaderGirl »

My Mom! She handed me my first Danielle Steele novel at age 12 after my 8th Grade English teacher told me I'd never read a chapter book in less than a month's time - I read 12 books that summer! And have been reading since, I am now 35!
Book Drifter
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-drifter.html
Latest Review: "The Yewtree Dominoes" by Cheryl Smith

Post by Book Drifter »

My parents. They would give me picture books and ask me to engage myself with them, while they read. Later, when I learned to read, they would read half a story and never finish it. I was told, if I wanted to find out what happens next, I should read it. So, I picked up the reading habit quite early in life.
Latest Review: "The Yewtree Dominoes" by Cheryl Smith
Robyn

Post by Robyn »

My parents, they are avid readers themselves and I was hooked from a very early age, education is so important to my dad and he taught me that you can learn almost anything from books.
augusteh
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-augusteh.html

Post by augusteh »

My mom read to me a lot and more importantly I saw her reading every chance she got. It seems like the first thing she might have read to me is Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham. Interestingly, Geisel said something like it was his favorite of his books or it was the one that made him laugh, something like that.
coheller

Post by coheller »

I suppose it began with my parents and my nanny reading to me when I was very small. But I really began to read out of loneliness when I became one of Europe's "hidden children" during World War II.
Fawkse
Currently Reading: Storm of Swords
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawkse.html
Latest Review: "Once Humans" by Massimo Marino

Post by Fawkse »

My Gramma, may she rest in peace. She handed me tons of books as a kid, and my English teacher got me writing. My dad is the one though, who encouraged both.
Latest Review: "Once Humans" by Massimo Marino

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”