Review by msmithreads -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
msmithreads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmithreads.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Review by msmithreads -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by msmithreads »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles follows the life of Darwin Hastings. He loses his parents at a young age and has to go live with a famous football player cousin, Luther Pinelli. Darwin moves into the mansion and resides in a storage closet. He forms a connection with his grandmother, Granny, while living there. The reader also follows Mrs. Thomas, Laszlo, Sweeney Pale, and the Malverne family. Mrs. Thomas, the house manager, has her heartbreak. Laszlo, Luther’s head of security, takes Darwin under his wing and becomes more of a teacher and father figure to Darwin. Darwin met Dr. Malverne on the airplane on the way to his new home. Dr. Malverne mentors Darwin on his quest to become a doctor. Sweeney Pale, Luther’s celebrity wife, comes with her issues and adds to the plot.

Darwin falls in love, experiences breakups, entanglement, and even deceit. The characters are all entwined and go through different kinds of controversy. You learn of unexpected events for each of them and become attached to their personalities and want to know how they progress. These characters keep you enthralled in the story, and you want to continue reading to find out what happens to each of them.

My favorite part of the story is the character development. You truly come to root for Darwin to find everlasting love and success in life. He has gone through so much losing his parents, living with a not so father like cousin, and overcoming hardships to get into college and become a professional.

My least favorite part is the story-line of Helen. Helen has a relationship with Andrew while still in high school and is plotting the rest of their lives together. She seems so introspective, and there’s mention of her being gay. If it was mentioned, I wish the author would have taken that path and expanded on why she acted the way she did. Instead, her father just took Darwin’s side and passed Helen off to that’s just the way she is.

I would give this book 3 out of 4 stars because I did find a few errors. I recommend this book to the young adult or adult reader that likes stories about relationships, family dynamics, deceit, and work dynamics. The book ended and I was certainly left with questions about some of the characters and wanted to know what happened in their saga.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”