Official Review: Disociety by Joe Kovanda

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
klbradley
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 98
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klbradley.html
Latest Review: Disociety by Joe Kovanda
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Disociety by Joe Kovanda

Post by klbradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Disociety" by Joe Kovanda.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Disociety is a modern-day fiction novel written by Joe Kovanda and published in February 2020. At under 100 Kindle edition pages, the story is easily read in one sitting, although with a multitude of dark and twisted happenings, as a reader, I found it a lot to take in during one read. Most accurately described as fitting in the dark humor genre, the story follows Franklin, a high school senior, as he trudges his way through complications with school and life in general.

After the death of his father, Franklin turns to a mind-altering concoction of cough medicine to numb his emotions. Along with his troubled group of friends, Franklin finds himself at the receiving end of hatred from many different people within his school and community, ultimately causing him even more demise as time goes on. Although a few of the occurrences didn’t appear to be something Franklin would be to blame for, his lack of care and failure to speak up seemed to work against him in more ways than one. Franklin's best friend, Sam, who also doubles as the girl he has fallen in love with, despite insisting she is way out of his league, has experienced significant trauma of her own, ultimately giving them some deep common ground.

Franklin's character was instantly likable, despite his negative attitude and indifference towards everyone around him. He's typically rude and careless, however, his humor was instantly something I found myself relating to. Although I wouldn't necessarily say he presented significant character growth throughout the story, there were glimpses into how he really felt, allowing readers to gain insight into why he reacts the way he does.

The editing for the story was clearly professionally done, as I found no errors while reading. I was also impressed with the way the author portrayed Franklin to be much more mature than others his age intellectually, although his external actions often showed otherwise. I found myself occasionally hoping someone would intervene on his reckless behavior, while also hoping he would have an epiphany moment and decide to make the changes for himself.

I'm pleased to rate Disociety 4 out of 4 stars. The book was impressively well-written, accurately displaying the troubling thoughts that are often running through teenage minds. I appreciated the author's presentation of an obviously intelligent young man, however, one that understandably needed some psychological help. I enjoyed reading Disociety much more than I had anticipated I would, of which I mainly give credit to the dark humor presented. There was nothing I didn't like about the story, however, there is a strong need for a reader's discretion due to illegal drug use, underage alcohol consumption, explicit language, mature themes, and more specifically, concern with a school shooter. I would suggest the story for mature readers who feel they are able to mentally process a story with notable dark themes.

Disociety
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

rahilshajahan
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by rahilshajahan »

Dark humor is not my go-to genre but I am willing to give this one a read. Thanks for an insightful review.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Henge by Laurence Tysoe

Post by Elvis Best »

I usually try to steer clear of dark books, but the plot of this novel sounds really interesting. Thanks for the insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Hay Wire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hay-wire.html
Latest Review: Trinity's Fall by PA Vasey
Reading Device: B07QV2JKGQ

Post by Hay Wire »

I think I will try to read this book. The dark humor part sounds exotic to me though I personally think the term is relative.
Moreover, I've never read any book from Joe Kovanda. So I will try to make this book my first.

Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Effective Leaders and Leadership by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Star_and_Buck »

I will go for the quick read. Inspired to read by your review.

Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Teele »

Nice summary. If I had the time to read all the books I wanted, this would be one of them.

Dayodiola
2019 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Dayodiola »

The intricacies in our respective lives are expected, but should they model us?
This review made me clamour for more, fair review.

Wy_Bertram
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD

Post by Wy_Bertram »

I see myself enjoying this book a lot. Thanks for the fantastic review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”