Review by hmorris43 -- The Bell Maker by Chris Bowen

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
hmorris43
Currently Reading: The Black Prism
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmorris43.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Review by hmorris43 -- The Bell Maker by Chris Bowen

Post by hmorris43 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Bell Maker" by Chris Bowen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book The Bell Maker by Chris Bowen is a fictional story that explores a time when people knew how to truly listen when The Universe spoke. The narrative follows a man who receives a series of bewildering notes from his grandfather, who had disappeared a few years earlier. These notes lead him to a manuscript in which his grandfather tells the tale of an ancient village where the townsfolk were deeply connected to the flow of The Universe, and would steadfastly and joyously listen to It’s messages… And how that way of life was destroyed.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I absolutely loved just about everything about this book. The story held my attention while allowing me the space to examine the existential questions that are raised throughout the book. The book was impeccably edited, and I enjoyed the use of shorter chapters for this particular narrative.

The best part of The Bell Maker was the simplicity of the story juxtaposed with the universal, haunting questions about whether or not, in this Age of Great Sound, we can hear anything of worth at all. While these questions did get me thinking, the existential nature of them was never overwhelming or disheartening. I was able to ponder them and then quickly immerse myself back in the story. The one thing I disliked about the book was that the supporting characters were not well fleshed out. It did not take away from the overall story, I just really wanted to know more about them and their connections to the narrator’s grandfather.

I honestly think that everyone should read this book at some point, but people who enjoy fiction that allows them to scrutinize the state of our world and its possible shortcomings will love this book. Readers who want a quick, cerebral narrative will also appreciate this lovely tale. Those who are expecting a sci-fi or fantasy short story should come back to this book in a different frame of mind, and will likely enjoy how Bowen blurs the lines between fantasy and reality. If you’re looking to get lost in another world then this is probably not the book for you right now.

The Bell Maker is one of the best books I have read in a long time. This is a story I will come back to over and over for both the beauty and simplicity of the narrative, and so that I will be reminded to listen to the words The Universe is speaking amidst the chattering noise of this world.

The Bell Maker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”