Official Review: Flamboyan Street by Glenn Curry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leen282
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Flamboyan Street by Glenn Curry

Official Review: Flamboyan Street by Glenn Curry

Post by Leen282 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flamboyan Street" by Glenn Curry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It feels like a lifetime ago that I spent a few days in Vieques. I mostly remember a bicycle ride trying, but not succeeding, to avoid potholes on the sandy roads to the beautiful beaches. A second vivid memory is a lot of loudly barking street dogs scaring me every time I went from our guesthouse to the main street. Flamboyan Street by Glenn Curry took me on a trip down memory lane.

The author tells the story of Jim Rollins, a rich man who never had to work for anything. He has a dream, a goal, and moves from Allentown, Pennsylvania, to Vieques to make his dream come true and accomplish his goal. Despite feeling prepared with all the research he did beforehand, nothing goes as planned and expected. Jim has to abandon his dream and return home or adapt to the circumstances, to the Vieques lifestyle and habits. He chooses the second option, and while doing so, he learns he is so much more than just a rich spoiled middle-aged man.

I appreciate the vivid descriptions of the island and its inhabitants. There is hardly any action in the book, perfectly reflecting the laid-back lifestyle. There are intrigue and lots of different opinions and conflicting priorities, as expected from a small community. It is easy to relate to the various characters in the book. I immediately had my likes and dislikes. The descriptions of nature and animal life make me want to go back to Vieques and stay at the guesthouse owned by the author of this book.

If I had to give one point of critique, it would be that the book is rather short. I would have loved to learn more about the community and daily life, see what happens next, how the protagonists continue their activities. Then again, it's probably a strength that the book ends when the story ends. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I read the book in hard-copy since there is no e-reader version available. It has been a while since I held an actual book, and it was an enjoyable change to reading on my Kindle. This book is small and light enough to hold with one hand while reading. I can recommend it to anyone who likes to be taken away to an exotic location while reading. It's a perfect afternoon escape for readers who enjoy small-town gossip. There were just a few minor mistakes in the book, not impacting the reading experience.

Flamboyan Street
View: on Bookshelves

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Open House by Jane Christmas

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I love these type of books about following one's dream--no matter how difficult the journey is. Thanks for the lovely review.

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by Elvis Best »

The plot of this one sounds very interesting. Thanks for the insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Wrong
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by Dominik_G »

It's so good to read books which aren't all about action and drama. Flamboyan Street sounds just like this. Thank you for your great review! I especially enjoyed the personal touch about your own experiences in Vieques.

baha Ibrahim
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

This book is a quick and easy read. Funny and poignant This book is not to be missed.
Thanks for the review
:tiphat: Baha :tiphat:

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

This does sounds like a great read for someone who wants to learn about a new place, even if it is lacking on the details of the community. I am not one for small town gossip though and prefer for there to be plenty of action in my books to hold my attention.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Sunchris01
Favorite Book: So This Is Love
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Sunchris01 »

It feels so fantabolous when reading books which act as an encourage where he decides to follow his dream in every way.

Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Sounds like a great book. And I agree with your point that holding a physical book and reading is joyful in its own way. Thanks for your insightful review.

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Hollywood Marine by Stephen J Osborne

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I really enjoyed reading your review. The plot sounds interesting to me.

LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: The Old Farts versus The Fatberg by Pat Stevens
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

Usually, I am into thrill and action. But your review has me feeling like I should pick this one up :) I do, indeed, like to be taken to nice places! And if the author manages to achieve that, I am always grateful!

Thank you for such an alluring review :)

Duaamashrah_22
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Duaamashrah_22 »

This book seems like it was an interesting read, thanks for the review. Will try to read it hopefully

Wy_Bertram
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Wy_Bertram »

Geography aside, I really enjoy stories about characters transforming, especially when they become "better people" although I do enjoy the hero becoming the villain as well. This sounds like a fascinating read. Well done on the review.

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ellylion »

Seems to be a light and entertaining read :) I too love the tropical isles' descriptions. Worth reading for sure! Thank you for a great review!

Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Teele »

Seems like a motivational read. Thanks for a well-arranged review.

gabrielletiemi
Currently Reading: História do Cerco de Lisboa
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielletiemi.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by gabrielletiemi »

I'm more into stories with more action, but the descriptions the author made sound lovely and realistic. I enjoy it when we are able to feel like we are inside the story like that. The plot sounds interesting too, a person that discovers there are more things other than money and wealth. Thanks for the insightful review! Great job.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”