Official Review: Everything There Was To Tell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: Everything There Was To Tell

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Everything There Was To Tell" by Ben Schwartz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everything There Was To Tell is a collection of fiction by Ben Schwartz. In my opinion, the collection carries elements of philosophical fiction in its theme and mood. The main characters in the three fiction pieces that make up the book grapple with loss and grief. They struggle to come to terms with their realities.

In one piece, a son is engulfed by an acrimonious force that spills out in vitriolic outbursts that his siblings cannot comprehend after their father’s suicide. In another, a man attempts to comfort his friend who cannot come to terms with the finality of the repercussions of his negligence. In the final piece, a sick man is driven by some inexplicable force to journey through a hiking trail that bears memories of times past and loves and friendships lost.

The author conveys emotions, thoughts, and experiences through powerful literary devices. In one scene, the body of the ailing man is personified. The ailing man speaks to it as to an old teammate. He scolds his body for dragging him down, reminds it that they used to form a winning team. The use of personification in that scene was well done. I could empathize with the ailing man and imagine his distress and frustration in a way that could not have been achieved had the author used plain language. An array of other literary devices are used, the most common being the use of flashbacks to encompass past events that had a direct bearing on the present experiences of the characters.

I believe you will enjoy this book more if you are an avid reader and are familiar with notable writers and poets. The last story references quite a few literary pieces by poets like W.B. Yeats and Walt Whitman. In one scene, the ailing man pictures Whitman walking with him on the trail and has a conversation with him. I had to do a bit of research on who Whitman was and his works to understand that scene.

You will appreciate Everything There Was To Tell if you are looking for a book that will allow you to feel deeply as you share the experiences of the very human characters. On the other hand, you might want to give this book a skip if you enjoy books that are light-hearted. As mentioned in the outset, it deals with the heavy themes of loss, grief and coming to terms with reality.

Overall, this is a brilliant book. I have nothing negative to say about it. It has been well edited and formatted. The content is stirring, and it is a relatively short read. As such, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed it and cannot think of a reason to give it a lesser rating. I recommend it to philosophical fiction fans.

Everything There Was To Tell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Nelson Reviews
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-reviews.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Reviews »

Philosophical fiction embedded with Tragedy scenes? This is really unique. Thanks for the Review.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :reading-6:
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

The ailing man speaks to it as to an old teammate. He scolds his body for dragging him down, reminds it that they used to form a winning team
This is a book I would love to read. Thanks for an insightful review.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I do enjoy books that border on philosophical thinking. Thanks for this informative review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Sabi_10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Sabi_10 »

From the title of the review I was expecting a non-fiction story. It is not the book I would like to read on a good day. Notwithstanding I might still try to read if I don't have better books. Good review.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

This seems ike a powerful and emotion book to read. Thank you for a detailed and helpful review.
Misty20058
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misty20058.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Misty20058 »

I have read this book and I was truly in awe of how well the author portrayed the characters. Thanks for the amazing review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”