Review by lica20 -- Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lica20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lica20.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by lica20 -- Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by lica20 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Rescued" by E. Alan Fleischauer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rescued is a classic western novel style book, with a lot of gunfire and romance scenes. The characters show a carpe diem philosophy, teaching how to live each day as it would be the last. That was my impression during the battles, which gave me a feeling of a mix of courage and forgiveness.

John Thurgood Thomas, also known as JT, was an adventurous man from the 1890s who used to travel from one place to another. One day, he sees women who were being mistreated by some men. JT saved the four women and took them to a small town to keep them safe from the captors. However, JT later learns that one of the women called Jean wasn't a victim at all, but the person responsible for the capture and kidnapping of the other three women. Who would be Jean?

In a nutshell, E. Alan Fleischauer did a great job. It was a surprise to know that it was his first book. The title suitable resumes the story as well. Rescued, is about helping stranges. We find that frequently in this book. Though it is a fictional book narrating those adventures, that felt real for me, and I wanted to highlight it. Besides, the mastering of the author while compiling the dialogues, the use of a descriptive language, straightforward and entertaining to read was notable.

At first sight, I thought the book wouldn't be my cup of tea since I haven't read that much western novels. But actually, I had a lot to learn from this book, JT being mysterious about his background grabbed my attention during the reading.
I would recommend this book for young adults since I found a few mild erotic scenes and violence (gunfires), but overall, I don't think there was any profane content. Also highly recommended for those who enjoy mysterious and western literature and are not sensitive to violence issues.

The presence of strong female characters in Rescued surprised me and was what I liked most. It breaks the image of a masculine always saving the feminine, and somehow that was my expectation before start reading. In both hero and antagonist roles, there were strong characters which the author described in a way that I could picture them using imagination. I don't believe it was lacking in describing, but the author letting the readers imagine them freely.

I enjoyed the third-person narrative, the use of the flashbacks techniques, the suspense, and the most important lesson that I take from the book was: to live a life that is worthy of emulation. I will rate four out of four stars because this book was also professionally edited.
I am still asking myself how did Jean end up because that was unsolved by then, but I also believe this final was intentional as it seems to release editions in the future, I will be looking forward to them.

Rescued
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”