Review by maggy98 -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
maggy98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggy98.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by maggy98 -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by maggy98 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rose, an older woman who loves fly fishing has several friends who enjoy the same sport. This is an expensive sport that involves catching fish using fly imitations and then releasing them back into the water. Sophie is a lady who has given up on her love life after she is ditched by her sweetheart, who later invites her to his wedding as his best friend.

Sophie, Veronicah, Amanda, and Rose are connected by this sport. Sophie, as a way of relaxation and comradeship, Amanda as away from the stress of anxiety of having a husband in the army and Veronicah space away from the corporate world. They usually gather at Rose's cabin which is near the river they fish from. On one chance encounter, they get their latest addition, Melody who they fish from the water naked.

Join Michelle Cummings in The Reel Sisters as she explores the characters of these four ladies and their experiences. At first, when I read this book I was like " this book is so retro and old" and then as I moved on I felt that the book had weirdos, people who do not just fit in a crowd. From then on I just could not place the book down. A perfect combination of the weird, the boring, and exciting to bring about a masterpiece.

The thing I liked the most about this book is the characters. Goodness! Michell gives life to these ladies who are very different. One a person who is a typical hermit, just living their life by themselves. Another is heartbroken, and then there is the older woman among them, almost like their mother who is the glue that cements this friendship, Rose.

The story is very relatable to most of the women out there. Everyone is unique in their way and most often we realize that we just do not fit in any group. In this story, Michell makes these ladies of different ages, different personalities, and weirdos, into a team that makes them feel at home. It is a story of hope that no matter how different you may feel, you can still fit somewhere.

The main theme in this book is friendship love between these four ladies and later five. It is a book of empowerment to all women out there to prosper, to move out of their comfort zone, and to allow themselves a chance at happiness. To learn the art of teamwork and companionship. Again there is a lot of talk of fly fishing, encouraging women to pursue their dreams, have hobbies, and create time for themselves.

To the romance lovers, you are not left out. As the story of each girl evolves, there is romance and love. This is a book I would recommend for every girl out there, married or unmarried. The themes brought out in this book are worth taking note of. It is important to realize that in as much as romance is important so is the friendship of people who understand you.

The book has a little bit of erotic content. Again, the work has a Christian theme, though not evangelical but only for a small portion of the book. I feel that the main people Michelle aimed to talk to in this book are the women.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is because the plot is well thought of and very original. The book has a lot of positivity about it and is worth keeping in your bookshelf, may be read several times. There are however a few errors in the write up which can be easily corrected by editing.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”