Official Review: When Lions Roar by Karen Leigh Gruber

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Official Review: When Lions Roar by Karen Leigh Gruber

Post by Nerea »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When Lions Roar" by Karen Leigh Gruber.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Maggie and princess Kazi are women from different lands fighting for their survival. The disappearance of a young girl changed their lives.

Maggie endured an abusive marriage for a long time, and the person that made her happy was her young daughter Hannah. One day, Hannah’s dad (David) was called for a gig in South Africa. So he had his family accompany him. The visit to Africa was fascinating, and the family enjoyed touring the animal habitation. The peaceful and exciting mood ended when Hannah was reported missing.

It turns out Hannah had heard about the calamity that had befallen the inhabitants of the Maasakai Kingdom. Kazi (a lioness) was a princess from the Maasakai Kingdom. She, together with her people, was put in danger by Prince Loki’s poor reasoning (Loki was a lion). How did Hannah’s disappearance change the lives of Maggie and princess Kazi? Grab a copy of the book and find out.

The book When Lions Roar by Karen Leigh Gruber is a fictional story that highlights the events taking place in two different worlds, that is, the human world and animal world. The book has a unique format. It consists of 121 pages (PDF copy). There are no chapters in the book, but the author employed a format that separates different segments in the story. I love how the author merged the story about Maggie and Princess Kazi in a way that doesn’t seem confusing. Moreover, the descriptions of nature and the condition of life in Africa were outstandingly painted. Noteworthy, the backstories of the characters, the adventure, and historical elements contributed to a steady development of the plot.

The book is narrated from the perspective of Maggie in an agonizing and hearty tone. I love the writing style. The narration flow is swift and steady. The vivid description of characters and the world-building create an environment that makes the reader feel like he/she is in the story witnessing the events taking place.

One of the characters that I was pleased with was Akilah, Maggie’s close friend from South Africa. She was a true friend in times of need. She provided comfort and practical help to Maggie whenever she needed help.

The book highlights themes like sexual and physical abuse, motherhood, animal kingdom, friendship, and family.

Readers who are sensitive to erotic contents, vulgarisms, and violence may wish to skip this book.

The book is emotionally gripping. There is nothing to dispute about the book. Readers will learn a lot from the story about marriage, friendship, and motherhood. The lesson that stood out for me about friendship is that a true friend is like a brother in times of distress. The book seems to have been skillfully edited. I only detected one error. That said, I rate the book at 4 out of 4 stars.

If you find stories that merge human and animal worlds appealing, here’s your treat. Readers who love suspense and adventures in your stories can also check the book.

When Lions Roar
View: on Bookshelves
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

I’m interested in the way this book takes place in both the human and animal world. This seems like a short but intriguing and powerful read. Great review!
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

This book sounds indeed very compelling. And it seems to be getting into some very important themes. Human and animal worlds mixed also sounds like rather interesting set up. Thank you for your review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Your laudatory review makes the book sound more interesting. It sparked my memory of Lion King - The movie.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I wonder how the human and animal world come together in this book. I enjoyed reading your insightful review. Great job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I find the African setting fascinating, and I wonder how the author manages to successfully mix topics like abuse with an animal story.
What a unique plot and a captivating review! Thanks!
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Do to the many profane language in it I'll skip this one, great review.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like the plot that combines the unique stories told from a human and animal point of view. I hope Maggie finds her daughter. Thanks for the insightful review.
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

It's always wonderful when humans and animals come together. Would really love to read to know how Hannah's disappearance changed the lives of Maggie and princess Kazi. Great review. Thanks.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I find the merging of the human world with the animal world an interesting plot. I'm curious about how it goes. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Adrianna Melillo wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 09:01 I’m interested in the way this book takes place in both the human and animal world. This seems like a short but intriguing and powerful read. Great review!
That's right. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on my review.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 13:58 This book sounds indeed very compelling. And it seems to be getting into some very important themes. Human and animal worlds mixed also sounds like rather interesting set up. Thank you for your review!
Yes. It is an interesting set up. :) Thankk you for coming through and leave a comment.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 14:20 Your laudatory review makes the book sound more interesting. It sparked my memory of Lion King - The movie.
Ooooh, nice. :) Thank you for sharing your thoughts on my review.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Elvis Best wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 17:52 I wonder how the human and animal world come together in this book. I enjoyed reading your insightful review. Great job!
You better grab a copy of the book and find out. :D :D Thank you for your kind words.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Lunastella wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 21:30 I find the African setting fascinating, and I wonder how the author manages to successfully mix topics like abuse with an animal story.
What a unique plot and a captivating review! Thanks!
I'd say the author is talented. She incorporated all that in a way that didn't seem confusing. Thank you for your continued support @Lunastella@ :tiphat:
No Wahala

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”