Review by Dayodiola -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Review by Dayodiola -- The Reel Sisters

Post by Dayodiola »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Learning is a continuous process - never-ending. In the past, this was done with the help of books but inventions have brought new ways like television, computer, phone, and radio. Sophie, a tomboy that comes from a line of hunters and gatherers, has the necessary information on fishing and farming, virtually anything related to living in the woods. A movie, "A River Runs Through It", changes her perspective on fishing and she geared up to the new adventure. This new habit made her stumble on a group of ladies in which the friendship is tighter and closer than that gotten from any other period.

These groups of friends are five in number: Rose, Sophie, Veronica, Amanda and Melody. Each of them has distinct attributes that can only be associated with each. Fly fishing in the woods acts as a sanctuary from all; after it, the ladies feel rekindled in other aspects of their lives - their daily activities.

Rose, the motherly figure of the pack, is the one they all look up to and she renders advice relating to their fishing skills in analogy to their real-life dilemmas. Rose built the cabin that housed the girls whenever they went fishing. She is the owner of the land in which the Arkansas River flows through. Sophie is that person that cares more for others than she does of herself. Her failed relation in her early twenty act as a benchmark she didn't consider to retry until she met her first fly fishing tutor all-over again. Veronica is the city girl that finds away time from the concrete world in fly fishing. Amanda the mother of two, exhausted from being a temporary single mother whenever her husband is dispatched to the war front. Fly Fishing acts as a time in which she rekindles her energy on every front. Melody acceptance into the pack came from after a surprise fall through the river saved by the girls while fishing. She can escape whatever parts of her life that she doesn’t like and adapt to a new surrounding.

The Reel Sisters is a non-fiction story on friendship as a gift. Michelle Cummings' great sense of writing could be seen with the way she relates fly fishing as a plot to analyse the theme of friendship. The relation of each of the ladies pack to a specific fly used is evident in the author's deep impression upon readers.

Noteworthy is the author's ability to characterize each chapter - this is relaying each chapter in view of a particular character - this made the understanding of the character personality expected rather than guessed. Since the chapters are characterized, the narrative method adopted is 'stream of consciousness' and 'dialogue'. The reader views the book from the lens of the character rather than of a third-party reporting. The book is fast-paced, making readers hooked until they see the back cover. The opening of the book is dubbed with enough introduction of each primary character personality and trait. The author's respect for the 'expected readers' could be seen at every point as regarding easing the tense moments with humour.

The taint in sense of grammatical error is the author's continuous usage of 'he' and 'she' to address animal-like Dame Juliana - Rose's dog- and 'he' for the trouts hooked from the river. But this can be excused as a means of Michelle Cummings proving how personally related the characters see the animal.

I will do no good if I don't rate this book 4 out of 4, even a taint in grammatical error couldn't make me do otherwise. This is a book I recommend to the organisation of like minds on how to increase their inter-relation. Also, families could use it for the benefit of what love among themselves will bring. A person looking for a hobby or a way to rekindle themselves would find this book in-time.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

I enjoyed reading The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings. I have come to think of it: that fly fishing is such an engaging sport.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I did enjoy the characters and their interactions quite a bit, though there were a number of things that personally bothered me. Thanks for the review!
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

I have been skipping this book, but your review just piqued my interest. Thanks for a detailed review and recommendation.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I've read and reviewed this book. The sport is indeed a means to unwind and does wonders as a therapy.
Enjoyed reading your review
TADSAILS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tadsails.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by TADSAILS »

A book that helpes readers to know the true value of friendship. I loved reading this as it truly educated me and was also an interesting read. Nice review
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

Oh, my! Your review makes me feel the same excitement and ecstatic I had when I finished reading this book! I love The Reel Sisters, and like you, I rated it 4! Who was your favorite character? Thank you so much for your beautiful review, it reminded me of the admiration I have for this book!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I loved reading this book! I agree with your rating. Brilliant review!!
Dayodiola
Currently Reading:

Post by Dayodiola »

:tiphat:
jennydelacruz wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 07:07 Oh, my! Your review makes me feel the same excitement and ecstatic I had when I finished reading this book! I love The Reel Sisters, and like you, I rated it 4! Who was your favourite character? Thank you so much for your beautiful review, it reminded me of the admiration I have for this book!
Thanks for stopping by, and for my favourite character that is Sophie. I love her selflessness. Though Rose maybe more of that than her but I like Sophie characterization.
Divergent_2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divergent-2020.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Divergent_2020 »

I too just read this book and rated it 4! You have a written a lovely review. And I also loved that each chapter is characterised. Good job!
Dayodiola
Currently Reading:

Post by Dayodiola »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 03:14 I enjoyed reading The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings. I have come to think of it: that fly fishing is such an engaging sport.
Such a great book
Dayodiola
Currently Reading:

Post by Dayodiola »

Tomah wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 03:31 I did enjoy the characters and their interactions quite a bit, though there were a number of things that personally bothered me. Thanks for the review!
That is the nature of human, we can't view the same thing exactly the same way.
Dayodiola
Currently Reading:

Post by Dayodiola »

Divergent_2020 wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 10:34 I too just read this book and rated it 4! You have a written a lovely review. And I also loved that each chapter is characterised. Good job!
Thanks for the comment.
Dayodiola
Currently Reading:

Post by Dayodiola »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 10:06 I loved reading this book! I agree with your rating. Brilliant review!!
Thanks for viewing my review.
Dayodiola
Currently Reading:

Post by Dayodiola »

Vic Chimezie wrote: 18 Jul 2020, 02:56 I have been skipping this book, but your review just piqued my interest. Thanks for a detailed review and recommendation.
I hope you will find the time to read it 😁

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”