Review by RM-SM -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RM-SM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rm-sm.html
Latest Review: Diamond and Pearls by Julien Ayotte

Review by RM-SM -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by RM-SM »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings takes you on a journey with four best friends who find a new pal when she unexpectedly crashes into their lives when she's brushed downstream. As they begin to create a new bond with this young girl, they also work through their own life problems. Some struggle with a spouse being away from home, other struggle just to find a mate. Each woman will make her own path and flourish in the friendship they all share together. And when tragedy strikes, they will be brought together in a tighter bond than they ever had before.

I thought this book was superb! It caught me up and swept me away. The author did an amazing job of bringing these characters off the written page and into the real world. If the next reader is anything like me, they will find themselves absolutely relishing in reading about these girls' adventures. I felt they were relatable and funny, the kind of friends you could definitely take on your next camping trip. Or fishing trip. I loved the witty humor injected in every few pages and the bond you could see among them through the way the author described them and their activities.

I also appreciate how the author included information about the sport on which the story is based. It was nice not to read about casting and knotting without having to bring out the encyclopedia. This went a long way in helping me understand the thrill the group gets out of it every time they hit the streams and rivers. The description of the technique, equipment and surroundings added to bringing to life to the words and to the beauty behind the sport. While fishing may not be for everyone, the book certainly makes it sound appealing.

I can't say there was anything terrible about this book. The swearing was kept to a fair minimum, although strong words were used. The author described each life route the women took over the weeks that followed the first weekend trip out to the river. The characters were extremely realistic and funny. The emotions, such as grief or exhilaration, poured out as I read along. I even teared up at the tragedy the group experienced near the end.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The plot was relatable. The character development was on point. I wasn't left in the dark about what fly-fishing is and what the appeal was. Each change in viewpoints was clearly marked out. There were no errors in the book, making it very well-edited and an easy read. I recommend it to groups of all ages above eight who enjoy the great outdoors and close companionship. It seems like a perfect tale to read while planning your own adventure.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Reader5698
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader5698.html
Latest Review: The Onion Picker: Carmen Basilio and Boxing In The 1950s by Gary B. youmans

Post by Reader5698 »

I really enjoyed this book as well. I found the parts about fly fishing to be really informative. I didn't know anything about this sport prior to reading the book. Thank you for your great review.
Jyockel08
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jyockel08 »

I loved this book also. It taught me about fly fishing in a way that was almost poetic and never boring. This story stuck with me for a long time after I finished. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”