Official Review: Water Bearer by Wendi Christner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Official Review: Water Bearer by Wendi Christner

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Water Bearer" by Wendi Christner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Water Bearer, by Wendi Christner, is the first book in the Southern Skies Collection. Set in the northern hills of rural Florida, it is a Christian fiction romance novel. Cassidy, the female protagonist, is plagued with guilt for setting the fire that killed her parents seven years earlier. Now that she has graduated high school, she is ready to leave town and never look back. That would be a whole lot easier if it weren't for Jared.

Literally the boy next door, Jared Walker is Cassidy's lifelong best friend. Unlike Cassidy, all of Jared's post-high school plans center around staying planted in his hometown to help run his family's farm. Jared longs for Cassidy to stay. Cassidy yearns to escape the shadow of her family tragedy. Both desire to make more of their friendship, but neither wants to do so only to have to cut ties once the summer is over. Will they walk away with regret or take the plunge and see where their love will lead them?

This book has numerous strengths. It is well-edited. I only found a handful of minor mistakes. The character development is superb. One of my favorite characters is Willetta Wilson. She is a whiskey-drinking, tobacco-chewing older lady who is constantly coming up with 'cures' for Cassidy that are supposed to help heal her from her sorrow. The plot is thoroughly engaging. I didn't want to stop reading. Also, the book is short, so it is great for those who struggle to find time to read.

My favorite part of the whole book is how the author weaves the theme of forgiveness throughout the story. Cassidy can't forgive herself for past mistakes. Some of the citizens of the town also look down on her or make jokes about fire at her expense. There is a point where Cassidy feels betrayed by Jared. By working through the process of forgiving him, her perspective about forgiveness is transformed for the better.

While this is a Christian fiction book, readers should know this book is basically about characters who happen to go to church. There isn't a large focus on scripture or doctrine. As such, some people of other religions or non-religious people would also enjoy this tale.

Considering I can't think of any improvements for this book, I joyfully give it 4 out of 4 stars. Readers should know there is no profane language. Sexual themes are included but are written tastefully. I recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of Christian romance fiction.

Water Bearer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

This is such an informative book that teaches on the importance of forgiveness. It's very essential to live a healthy life. Great review
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Even though this is Christian fiction, I love the romance attached. I guess it's because I'm a sucker for love. Anyways, thanks for the great review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

This sounds like an intriguing book to read. I know some Christian novels can be quite heavy or doctrine based so this sounds refreshing. I’ll give it a read. Thank you for the great review.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

Water Bearer is an interesting title. The bond between Cassidy and Jared seems to be deep and strong. It sounds like great reading. Thanks for the review! Good job!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Given that there isn't scripture, or heavy religious themes I might try this one. It sounds like an intense story.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Mohammed_Sameer2
Favorite Author: Marcel Proust (Author)
Favorite Book: Swann's Way: In Search of Lost Time, Vol. 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohammed-sameer2.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 221667

Post by Mohammed_Sameer2 »

It is a good review of Wendi Christner's Water Bearer ElizaBeth , that you illustrate the psychological side of the main character, and her development with others during the story. I confirm that those works attract many readers because of their deep revealing of the wide world of character, and romantic interactions between voices. Have a great day.
Wonna33
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wonna33.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B07M8QVTK1

Post by Wonna33 »

The title of this book caught my attention, and after reading this review, the story is not what I expected. Still, I am interested in reading. Great review!
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

I can already tell that Cassidy’s story is one I would enjoy. I really hope that she can find peace and solve her dilemma of whether to leave or stay.
Great review!
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

A Christian book but purged of Scriptures. Great review
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Forgiveness is such a difficult yet powerful theme through life - it is always inspiring to see an author successfully weave it into their story. Water Bearer is an interesting choice of title. I would love to see how the author relates this back to the plot. Willetta Wilson sounds like a great side character! Thanks for the insightful and honest review.
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

Forgiveness is a trait that is lost in today's generation. Hope this book proves beneficial to the readers. Appreciate the review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Nelson Reviews
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-reviews.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Reviews »

This sounds like a great read; I can't wait to flip its pages. Thanks for the review.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :reading-6:
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I hope Cassidy really comes into term with her guilt and begs for forgiveness. Thanks for the enjoyable review.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I am glad I stuck to your review until the end! The plot seemed interesting and I like the idea of exploring the psychological aspects of dealing with guilt and forgiveness to self, but I was put off by the potential religious undertone. I'm glad you pointed out that it is not done in the way that I thought :) It now goes onto my shelf!

Thank you for such a thorough and inviting review! It was a mind-changer :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”