Official Review: Division by Patrick Joseph Creevy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresam
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresam.html
Latest Review: A Newcomer's Guide by Brian R. Gray

Official Review: Division by Patrick Joseph Creevy

Post by Theresam »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Division" by Patrick Joseph Creevy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Division is a novel by Patrick Creevy that takes a hard look at race relations, gang violence, abortion, murder and infidelity. The characters created by the author are flawed and realistic. Mr. Creevy is a gifted writer who grew up in Chicago and the city of Chicago becomes a character itself in the book with its dark alleys and doorways. The author’s descriptions of the city and the streets are vivid and add to the story.

The story begins with two gang members, Watts and Tumbler, walking down the street when they run into Tumbler’s cousin, Robert Teague. The three young men decide to go see a girl that Watts knows. Along the way Watts decides to steal a car, a decision that ends in murder. The victim is a young white man and his death leads to an in-depth look at race and violence through the eyes of characters with very different backgrounds and perspectives.

Connor Riordan is the brother of the victim and an eye witness to the crime. He suffers from grief and guilt and begins drinking to ease the pain. He tries to come to terms with the loss that he has suffered, but also wants to understand why it happened. He takes a closer look at the men involved in the incident when his brother was killed, and we learn more about their lives and their families.

Division is the title of the book. The word has multiple meanings. Division Street in Chicago physically separates the city and the rival gangs that dwell there. It can also refer to the division between the wealthier areas of the city and the impoverished areas like Cabrini Green. The racial division between the African-American community and the white community is also prominent in the book. There are also divisions within a family where differences of opinion, grief, lies and betrayals separate family members. There are many different levels and perspectives presented in this book.

I really enjoyed reading this book. Each character was complex and multi-dimensional. The dialogue between the characters was fascinating because each character has such a different perspective on the issues. The character of Watts is a gang leader that is dangerous and violent. He also has a heart-breaking back story. In addition, he has a grandmother and a girl that love him and care what happens to him. Many of the issues covered in the book are relatable to most readers. For example, grief is discussed in heart-breaking detail. Some characters can come together and bond over their grief while others grow more distant. The discussions between the characters are thoughtful and philosophical.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys novels about relationships between families and different communities. Race relations and crime are main topics of the book. I give the book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The book was extremely well-edited. I only saw one error in the book. I would not recommend this book to younger readers due to the subject matter and profanity, but I would highly recommend it as a well-written and fascinating book that I found difficult to put down.

Division
View: on Bookshelves

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Model Marine
Bookshelf Size: 394
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Muley by Monty Marks

Post by kdstrack »

I like the way the author incorporated the title into several different story lines in the book. Your description of Watts is amazing, and I am intrigued about his story. This looks interesting. Thanks.
Latest Review: Muley by Monty Marks

Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Usma Khann »

Dealing with issues like racial division, violence, abortion, murder and infidelity can be very sensitive. Appreciate the author's effort. Thank you for the terrific review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Glad to know the different angles from which the book's title can be interpreted. The story seems quite fascinating to read. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”