Review by Mrunalpatki -- We Drank Wine by Marion Reidel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalpatki.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Review by Mrunalpatki -- We Drank Wine by Marion Reidel

Post by Mrunalpatki »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We Drank Wine" by Marion Reidel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Drank Wine is a collection of stories about four middle-aged women going through a series of mid-life crises. These are comical stories about battling the worst events of your life and yet trying to get the best out of life. The four women Celeste, Beth, Sandy, and Janice, are as different as they come, married with kids and yet pillars of support to each other in the worst of times.

This book was a pleasantly surprising read for me. The title of the book intrigued me, and the summary mentioned that the theme was comical, and I decided to give the book a read. I do not regret it. It is a refreshing book.

Marion Reidel must take up writing as a serious profession. This novel is her debut novel, and she has done a fabulous job of keeping the readers engrossed. I laughed out loud, fell shocked, fell saddened. It was a roller coaster of emotions. She has covered several broad topics like parenting through the toddler biting story. Pyromaniacs through Blake’s’ account, the challenges of gender orientation in Sandy’s story, embezzlement, and the likes. Each of the several chapters is titled keeping in mind, intellect and humor.

I loved that Marion’s vocabulary and prose were written to impress. It was so descriptive like when she described Janice submerging in a bath to release her stress; she wrote – “Like a human teabag the stress of her day will seep from her tired carcass and she will be renewed.” Even Sandy’s description of Yoga was so visual.

All the stories are well-paced and fun. My personal favorites were “Bedtime Story,” which was hilarious, wherein Randall is trying to read an eleven-year-old Taylor a classic fairy-tale. Her curious mind questions all the silliness in the story. Like the way she equates Trolls with “You mean like my dolls? The ones with the colorful hair that sticks straight up?”

Another one of my favorites was The Fireman. It is a dark story about an adolescent pyromaniac with a twisted end. I like how the author expressed the character’s mindset in concise terms – “Anonymity empowered his recreational arson.”

The book merits a perfect rating as there wasn’t anything I disliked about it, and the editing was professional. There is a final surprise in the story that a lot of readers might figure out.

I recommend We Drink Wine to all women. The stories will connect with most, if not all, readers. Children should avoid this book. There is no sexual content or profane language, but most stories contain an adult theme.

So here’s my score 4 out of 4 stars. There is no reason to deduct any stars. Don’t miss this one. It’s delightful. Happy reading!

We Drank Wine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Think before you review. Read before you think. :techie-studyinggray:
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

The incredible ability of the book to appeal to the reader's empathetic being is what I treasure most in a book.
Thank you for the review.
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:

Post by Mrunalpatki »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 23:41 The incredible ability of the book to appeal to the reader's empathetic being is what I treasure most in a book.
Thank you for the review.
Readers will definitely feel a connection to this one. Thanks for stopping by.
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

Oh I'm going to love this book, sounds like a good coffee table read. Thank you for the great review.
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

Yay. Sounds like an exciting book! I just finished reading The Reel Sisters which is somehow similar in terms of "girl friendships." Rollercoaster emotions you said? Oh, Marion got herself another reader of her book, thanks to you! Great review!
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

A book about middle aged women? wow! It would be interesting. Nice review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The title sounds interesting. :D It looks like there's a lot of humor in the stories but some serious themes are developed as well. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

Never have I ever thought that such a book would pique my interest but I got hooked from the very beginning of the review! :) It is now on my shelf. I'll be sure to stock up on some wine before I open it :)

Thank you for such a detailed and inviting review! :)
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I love the concept of this book: making the best out of life. I thoroughly enjoyed the review. Thanks
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:

Post by Mrunalpatki »

Dee_Robert wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 04:48 Oh I'm going to love this book, sounds like a good coffee table read. Thank you for the great review.
Thank you for the kind words. Hope you enjoy the book!
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:

Post by Mrunalpatki »

jennydelacruz wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 05:02 Yay. Sounds like an exciting book! I just finished reading The Reel Sisters which is somehow similar in terms of "girl friendships." Rollercoaster emotions you said? Oh, Marion got herself another reader of her book, thanks to you! Great review!
I've read that one too. And yes, I agree, they are similar on this theme. Thanks for the appreciation. Hope you enjoy the book as much as I did.
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:

Post by Mrunalpatki »

khaulah wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 05:41 A book about middle aged women? wow! It would be interesting. Nice review!
Thanks for your comment. Hope you enjoy the book.
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:

Post by Mrunalpatki »

NetMassimo wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 10:07 The title sounds interesting. :D It looks like there's a lot of humor in the stories but some serious themes are developed as well. Thank you for your great review!
Yes your observation is correct. Thank you for the kind words :)
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:

Post by Mrunalpatki »

LinaJan wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 10:17 Never have I ever thought that such a book would pique my interest but I got hooked from the very beginning of the review! :) It is now on my shelf. I'll be sure to stock up on some wine before I open it :)

Thank you for such a detailed and inviting review! :)
Hey, the wine idea is great. Should've thought of that myself. :P Thank you for the appreciation. Hope you enjoy the book. Cheers!
Last edited by Mrunalpatki on 28 Jun 2020, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:

Post by Mrunalpatki »

Elvis Best wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 17:57 I love the concept of this book: making the best out of life. I thoroughly enjoyed the review. Thanks
Thanks for the encouraging comments. :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”