Official Review: The Gym by Lawrence H Sola

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: The Gym by Lawrence H Sola

Official Review: The Gym by Lawrence H Sola

Post by J_odoyo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gym" by Lawrence H Sola.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Gym by Lawrence H. Sola is an engrossing and entertaining story of a seriously flawed (yet gifted) man, who is determined to get the next chapter of his life right. This book is a sequel to his first book, The Show. While one may think that this book is another story of finding true love amidst all sorts of wrong women out there, it also focuses on some vital ingredients of life that can enable us to get a grip and enjoy every moment despite the disappointing nature of our everyday life.

After having his career ruined and separating from his wife, Larry (Peter Pan Man) is jaded: he can't help wallowing in his past failures and regrets. He is determined to start a new chapter of life. But then something happens. On one occasion, while visiting a grocery, he bumps into an old man in a red shirt and meticulously neat beard, who hands him a booklet of businesses for sale. As he casually flips through the pages, he notices a beachside fitness club circled in red.

A few months down the line, he purchases the gym. This business opens Peter Pan Man's world; he meets and works with amazing people. Obviously, this is a turning point for his life; however, the drama of his life also doesn't part from him. He has joined a dating site: he is determined to find a true love (one he will be passionate about). Things seem to get worse while juggling between hitting on the woman of his dream and coping with the wicked rumors threatening his business. Will his pixie dust work? Will he find her?

Mr. Sola is a gifted writer with fluid prose and insightful observations using Larry's experiences to tell a magical story about life and love, with a focus on the importance of laughter while wading through this life. He startlingly developed the protagonist, Larry, to be a relatable character, whose personal growth doesn't erase his faults. The earlier chapters of this book present dark moments in Larry's life; he attracts the wrong women from the POF dating site. Despite wasting his time with these women, they left reminiscence that played a significant role in the plot of this book.

Written from the first-person point of view, Mr. Sola hits upon the perfect formula that kept me engrossed with the story while enjoying the sense of involvement in Larry's predicaments. The book is well peppered with enough plot twists and suspense, which will keep you at the edge of your seat. Author Sola's writing style is smart and revitalizing, often comical but just enough to keep you reading. This book is different from other fictional books; the author lets life play out and then writes about his experience using fictionalized characters.

The storyline of this book involves well-developed characters, many of whom you will quickly care about. Allie Valentine (twenty-two-year-old Zumba instructor, also known as Allie Girl) was my most-liked character; she was hard-working and played a significant role in the bloom of Larry's gym business. However, Bob Tillie becomes my least-liked character: he was a professional rumormonger, deeply rooted in envious issues. You can't help but describe him as a terrible pariah.

There is nothing I disliked in this forty-seven-chaptered book. Specifically, my favorite chapters were from chapter twenty-one to chapter twenty-eight; the chapters presented Larry's turning point. My attitude toward the protagonist changed while reading this section. I came to view his past reckless life as meant-to-be events that eventually shaped an adorable character. Mr. Sola flawlessly laces many memorable, timely, and poignant themes (love, jealousy, betrayal, heartbreak, and many more) throughout this book. Potential readers of this book should know that this book involves curse words and explicit erotic content.

Overall, the book was well written and professionally edited; I didn't find even a single error. I can confidently rate The Gym a dazzling 4 out of 4 stars. The storyline was riveting, entertaining, and exceptionally edited; therefore, I couldn't give it a lower rating. I recommend this book to lovers of stories involving suspense and mystery. If you like a good love story, you might enjoy it just as I did.

The Gym
View: on Bookshelves
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison

Seroney_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seroney.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Seroney_ »

Your review is fascinating. I expected the book to touch on fitness, I was wrong. Am glad the protagonist doesn't let his past to shape his present and future

J_odoyo
Currently Reading:

Post by J_odoyo »

Seroney_ wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 03:56
Your review is fascinating. I expected the book to touch on fitness, I was wrong. Am glad the protagonist doesn't let his past to shape his present and future
Actually I had the same guess when I saw it for the first time. But after reading the description I knew it was a different story. Thanks for reading my review.
– Toni Morrison

Tonika632
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Tonika632 »

I expected this book to be about fitness, but I was wrong. Great review!

J_odoyo
Currently Reading:

Post by J_odoyo »

Tonika632 wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 08:24
I expected this book to be about fitness, but I was wrong. Great review!
Thanks for reading my review and leaving a comment.
– Toni Morrison

Koltrast
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading: The Eye of Illumination
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koltrast.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Koltrast »

This book might not be my cup of tea, but I am intrigued by a love story written from a male point of view. I have a feeling it's not as common as with a female perspective. Nice review!
"Oh, how do you solve a problem like Maria?
How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?"
- The Sound of Music

Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Samgum50 »

Great review! This seems like an interesting book to read.

J_odoyo
Currently Reading:

Post by J_odoyo »

Koltrast wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 04:58
This book might not be my cup of tea, but I am intrigued by a love story written from a male point of view. I have a feeling it's not as common as with a female perspective. Nice review!
Sure, it's a nice thing to read a love story told from male viewpoint. Thanks for reading my review.
– Toni Morrison

J_odoyo
Currently Reading:

Post by J_odoyo »

Samgum50 wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 05:32
Great review! This seems like an interesting book to read.
Thanks for your encouraging comment.
– Toni Morrison

Rubbi
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubbi.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rubbi »

I think after reading this book every reader will be anticipating to read the other book written by this author. This book sounds so entertaining and delighting.

Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Usma Khann »

Love. Jealousy. Betrayal. Heartbreak. Seems like the author has well intertwined all these themes to create a worthy read. Appreciate the review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:

J_odoyo
Currently Reading:

Post by J_odoyo »

Rubbi wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 20:29
I think after reading this book every reader will be anticipating to read the other book written by this author. This book sounds so entertaining and delighting.
Sure, this book is really entertaining and smartly written. I'm glad you were able to notice that.
– Toni Morrison

J_odoyo
Currently Reading:

Post by J_odoyo »

Usma Khann wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 00:48
Love. Jealousy. Betrayal. Heartbreak. Seems like the author has well intertwined all these themes to create a worthy read. Appreciate the review.🌸
Indeed it is a nice one. Thanks for reading my review.
– Toni Morrison

Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Sounds nice and interesting. Thanks for the great review!

Mrunalpatki
2019 Reading Goal: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalpatki.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by Mrunalpatki »

Great review and seems like an entertaining book. Glad that you focused on the positives in the book. Great job on the review.
Think before you review. Read before you think. :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”