Official Review: Life After the Chair by Monae' Shepard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: City Girl Tales: Walk a Straight Line by Anisa B

Official Review: Life After the Chair by Monae' Shepard

Post by shannonkate8 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life After the Chair" by Monae' Shepard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life After The Chair: Memoir of a Stylist by Monaé Shepard is a memoir of Monaé Shepard’s life and a how-to related to hairstyling. In the beginning, the author shares with readers how she got her start with styling. Based on the descriptions, I can only assume that Monaé Shepard was born with natural talent and creativity. This allowed her to start styling at a very young age. She quickly outgrew her in-home hair business and graduated to a salon, where she learned important life lessons.

The remainder of the book is mainly a how-to book interspersed with memories and life events. The author describes the different types of stylists, ways to build a brand, how to stay healthy, how to invest in the future, and recommendations for life after leaving hair styling. She covers so much information but does it in a helpful, straight-forward way. She only scratches the surface of hairstyling but provides enough information for budding stylists to start their journey.

I quite enjoyed this book. I am not a stylist myself but have always been interested in hair and makeup. It was interesting to hear the author’s story and I enjoyed reading how she started out, though I have to say I was really captivated by the how-to’s and information surrounding hair styling. The author clearly learned much from her experience hair styling and it shows. There were things I may not have considered going into hair, like savings accounts, planning for the future, and running a business. It’s not just about cutting hair if you run your own business. You have to consider so much else. I really liked and appreciated this wide array of input.

That said, I feel like this book desperately needs another proofread or editor. This was definitely my least favorite part of the book and almost made me stop. The story itself is relatively good. However, at times, I felt that the author forgot to go back and delete things or re-read the book. There were spelling errors and grammatical errors throughout the book. In just the beginning, I found a spot that appeared that the author changed the paragraph but forgot to delete the old information.

Overall, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. This book needs some serious editing before I would be willing to give it a full four stars. That said, I did like the book and found it helpful. It was a short read and I would recommend reading it to anyone looking to start in the beauty business. Those who have been in the business for a while could also benefit from reading this and they may learn some new ideas or tips.

Life After the Chair
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

gabrielletiemi
Currently Reading: Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielletiemi.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by gabrielletiemi »

I'm pretty interested in learning about the stylists' life. This book seems to be good for everyone who wants to learn more about business in general. Great review!

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Elvis Best »

I'm not into beauty or hairstyling, but it seems the tag eyes audience would benefit greatly from reading this book. Thanks for your honest review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: The Albatross: Contact by Connor Mackay
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I was intrigued by the title but, having learnt what this is about, I now know that it is not for me.

Thank you for such an informative and helpful review!

Nedbrian
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 89

Post by Nedbrian »

I got interested from the title. However, this book seems not to be my sort of read. Although your review made me understand that the book is more or less about learning to desire for more just as the protagonist did.

Christieee
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: Wonks by William Reese Hamilton

Post by Christieee »

This looks to be an entertaining piece, while remaining informative. I have always been interested in hair styling, so this will be a good read for people like me. Thanks for the nice review.

Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Samgum50 »

This book seems like it would be perfect for anyone interested in hairstyling. Great review!

Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Slater678 »

I hope its lessons can be applied in starting any business. Nice review thanks.

shannonkate8
Currently Reading:

Post by shannonkate8 »

LinaJan wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 12:06
I was intrigued by the title but, having learnt what this is about, I now know that it is not for me.

Thank you for such an informative and helpful review!
The title definitely pulled me in as well. I was a little disappointed to not get much of a memoir and more business-sense. A few more stories could go a long way.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

shannonkate8
Currently Reading:

Post by shannonkate8 »

Slater678 wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 10:11
I hope its lessons can be applied in starting any business. Nice review thanks.
I think the lessons really can be applied outside just cosmetology. There was a lot of useful information that I hope others get to see. That said, it would be great if she added a few more stories throughout to keep you going and explain more of what she meant.

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The title of the book is catchy. This book is intended for a particular type of audience. Maybe ones in similar professions can easily relate.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”