Review by CrazyCat101 -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CrazyCat101
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazycat101.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by CrazyCat101 -- The Reel Sisters

Post by CrazyCat101 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To many of us fly fishing is something seen in a movie, or done quietly in a hidden river. In recent years fly fishing has seen an increase in popularity among women which has created a whole new way of viewing a river or stream. The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings brings a new perspective to this once elusive and male dominated sport while delving into the lives and friendships of a dynamic group of women.

Michelle Cummings has carefully woven technical information and terminology about the world of fly fishing into the lives of these women in such a way that the reader learns about the sport while feeling like part of the group. Each chapter begins with a quote relating to fly fishing, followed by paragraphs written from the perspective of one of the characters. These paragraphs have the woman’s name as a heading which allows the reader to keep track of who is speaking and how they relate to each other. This gives a unique window into the thinking and personality of these women who differ in age and cultural backgrounds. The reader is able to see fly fishing through their eyes as well as how they are all connected to one another.

I loved how throughout the book various conversations offer snippets of information about each person which in turn reveals their vulnerabilities and secrets. As the story unfolds I became more emotionally invested in these women and wanted to keep reading to find out more. The characters are well rounded and the diversity of the group allows the reader to relate to at least one person in this book. At times the interaction between the different women is rather comical and things really take a turn when a naked woman is washed downstream.

No previous knowledge of fly fishing is required to enjoy the book as the language is simple and easy to understand. This book will be of particular interest to women who are interested in starting out in fly fishing or who already enjoy the sport. It may also be of interest to people who enjoy learning about new things.

The book has been particularly well edited as I was not able to find any errors. One of the characters uses a considerable amount of profanity in her speech, however on the whole it does not detract from the enjoyment and smooth reading of the book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Reel Sisters and happily give it 4 out of 4 stars.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Victor Nnamdi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor23nnamdi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Victor Nnamdi_ »

This is a fantastic work of fiction. I was moved by Rose leadership qualities.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”