Official Review: Diamond Girl by Michael Thomason

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Diamond Girl by Michael Thomason

Post by Maria Esposito »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Diamond Girl" by Michael Thomason.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jack Caldwell is a teenager who has been through a lot in his short life. Although he manages to hide the hurt behind his passion for baseball and his nonchalant attitude, life has confronted him with a fair share of traumatic events. Jack’s mom runs away, leaving her teenage kids behind with an alcoholic father. If that was not enough, Jack loses the woman he adores the most: his older sister Christina. Christina’s death, caused by an overdose, robs Jack of the only support system he has ever known. When Amy, a cute Japanese-American girl, enters his life, he feels like something might be starting to work in his favor. Amy is Jack’s Diamond Girl. He feels like they are made for each other. However, Amy eventually discovers a secret that was supposed to be buried. Christina and Jack share something that should be kept hidden away, a memory that refuses to fade, a secret that keeps him awake at night. What happened to them?

Diamond Girl goes back and forth between Jack’s teenage years and his modern life. When he meets Donna in the bar he works at, he knows he can’t let her get away without regretting it for the rest of his life. The book follows Jack’s relationship with Donna, their marriage, and its decline. He feels like Donna is the perfect match for him, until their daughter’s illness puts an irreparable strain on their marriage.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Diamond Girl. Although the plotline might not seem particularly exciting, there were a few elements that made this novel extremely enjoyable to read. Although the narration is not fast-paced, Michael Thomason’s writing style is highly captivating and kept me glued to the pages. Everything in the book, from the events to the dialogues, was written with a vibrancy and an authenticity that made me feel like the author was describing events that happened in real life. In other words, the writing was so vivid that I felt as if I was reading a memoir. I was anxious to discover what would happen to Jack and Amy, how he would recover from the traumas he endured, and if he would continue his baseball career.

Another element that contributed to my enjoyment of the novel is the author’s choice to alternate between Jack’s adult perspective and his teenage years. The alternation between past and present narration is something that would normally annoy me. However, Michael Thomason did a wonderful job of using this stylistic choice to masterfully accompany the reader through Jack’s character development. The reader is able to identify how some of the events and people Jack encountered in his boyhood impacted his adult life. The author carved Jack’s personality in such a masterful way that he felt like someone I was actually close to. By displaying Jack’s inner conflicts, his struggle to bury the pain and the secrets, and his willingness to appear tough and invincible, Michael Thomason captured the essence of boyhood. The author was able to paint a vivid picture of what it means to be a teenage boy with hard feelings, and how that translates into being a grown man who has to learn how to live with them. On top of that, the book also covers several important topics, such as racism, substance abuse, cheating, and loss.

There is only one thing I dislike about the book: its cover design. In fact, I feel like it is plain and does not do justice to the richness contained in the novel. Furthermore, while reading, I came across more than ten errors. While they did not distract me from the book at all, I am forced to subtract a star from the rating. Hence, I rate Diamond Girl by Michael Thomason 3 out of 4 stars. I would have happily given the book a perfect rating, but the errors prevented me from doing so.

I recommend this book to readers who like novels that are centered around character development. I think that older teenagers would greatly benefit from reading this book, as they might easily resonate with Jack. The book has quite a few profanities and erotic scenes, but they are not described in detail.

Diamond Girl
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I always appreciate a good writing style and love the books that center around characters development :) And I agree, the cover is a bit confusing. Thank you for a great review!
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

This is a beautiful review. I feel quite sad for Jack. Why does he have to go through so much. Meanwhile, I'm struggling to reconcile how Donna features if Amy is Jack's diamond girl.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a great character-driven novel! I think I would enjoy it. Great review!
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

Sounds like an interesting read. I would like to know more about Jack and Donna's story. Thanks for the detailed and nice review.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

Sounds like an important read. It's hard when a child gest sick, but many parents have to cope with that. Great review!
Marion Jepkosgei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marion-jepkosgei.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Marion Jepkosgei »

Your review is amazing and I feel it mirrors your admiration for the book. I totally love character based books and I am intrigued by Jack:s life. I believe this is beautiful.
Hellen2020
Favorite Book: The Shade of Highfall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hellen2020.html
Latest Review: Agatha the Beloved Queen by Fred Pilcher

Post by Hellen2020 »

The cover is not eye catching. Though it would be interesting to get to know Jack's life story and the diamond girl.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The flashbacks would help fill in all the details about Jack's childhood. I am wondering if there is a love triangle developing with both Amy and Donna in Jack's life?? I agree with your comments about the cover! Thanks for this intriguing recommendation.
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Am a good fun of character development books , I would like to read this one in future, thanks for the great review.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

This isn't the sort of book I usually enjoy, but it sounds like a great read for fans of character-driven dramas. Thanks for the review!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I wonder what Amy uncovered. :eusa-think: I may have to read this book and find out. Great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Rozia
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rozia »

This is an awesome review and the novel sounds so interesting to read.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I feel sorry for Jack. I can imagine that Christina's death would be difficult for him. I do hope that he's able to recover. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

Great review! This seems like a wonderful book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”