Official Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Senator's Suitcase" by Mitch Engel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When U.S. Senator Beth Davenport dies in a helicopter crash, her son, Troy, is left with conflicted feelings. She had been highly respected by her colleagues and her country as the longest-serving independent female senator in U.S. history. Publicly lauded as being above reproach, Troy had always seen a different side of her at home. While their relationship was amicable, they had never been close, even when he was a young child. She had been secretive about many aspects of her past, and he had never been able to understand the strange family dynamics between her and his business tycoon grandfather. After her death, Troy stumbles upon even more secrets about her, one of which leads him to a storage locker and a briefcase containing over five million dollars in cash. Now Troy really needs answers. He sets off on a mission to find out where it came from and who his mother really was. Was she as ethical as everyone believes, or was she just another corrupt politician after all?

The Senators’ Suitcase by Mitch Engel is a fiction novel that is part mystery, part family drama. The book is divided into three sections. The first part is told from the first-person point of view of Troy following his mother’s death, as he tracks down information about her and draws his conclusions. The second part goes back in time and is told from the 3rd person point of view of Beth herself, as she looks back over her life. In the final part, the book revisits Troy several months after his mother’s death and shows the effects his search has had on his life. I really enjoyed the changing perspectives of the book. I particularly liked getting Beth’s perspective, as I was able to discover whether Troy had come to the right or wrong conclusions about his mother.

I found all the characters in this story to be realistic, complex, and likable. They each come with their own interesting backstory that carries into their outlook on life and relationships. They all make good and bad choices and live with the consequences. I particularly liked Beth’s character, as the book gives a complete view of her from childhood on, showing how she grew as a person over the course of her life.

The book was well-written and cleverly told. I noticed just a small handful of typos that did not distract from the plot. Although the book delves into some heavy topics, such as abuse, sexual harassment, and prejudice about sexual orientation, the author uses wit and humor to engage the reader and lighten the feel of the book overall. There are many heartwarming moments that made me smile and a couple of scenes that brought tears to my eyes.

My only complaint about the book was that it was a bit slow-moving, especially in the beginning. The part of the book following Beth’s perspective picked up a little bit for me, but I never felt like I couldn’t wait to find out what happened next, and I didn’t have any trouble putting the book down.

Overall, I think this is a 3.5-star book, but since I can’t award half stars, I will rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the characters and the storyline, but I wish it had been a bit more of a page-turner. This is not a book that would be appreciated by action fans, but those who enjoy character-driven stories or family dramas would enjoy it. There are some references to abuse that may be triggering, and I would not recommend it to anyone who does not enjoy reading about LGBTQ themes.

The Senator's Suitcase
View: on Bookshelves

Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Mystery+family drama seems interesting. I have never read a book with LGBTQ theme. So I definitely want to give this book a try. Thanks for your wonderful review!

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Spanish Flu vs Covid-19, which is the worst pandemic? by Farzana Prior

Post by Nqobile771 »

Death by unnatural causes always leaves those who remain with questions. Thanks for the review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: My Name is Red
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by raluca_mihaila »

Building a realistic and likable character is very important for me. Sometimes a weak presentation of the characters can ruin a good plot. Thank you for your honest opinion!

Tarilan
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Tarilan »

I was wondering how a book can be about a suitcase. Thanks for the review.

Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I love the sincerity in your review. I wish I had made it to a full star because if its potentials. I love it nonetheless!

Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Journey Out of Self and Into Christ by Richard Rardin

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Great review,.. I likevthwt the characters are likeable and relatable.

HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Post by HannahsReads »

I like family dramas and political novels, so I think I would enjoy this! Thanks for your honest review.

unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Honest-reviewer wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 01:21
Mystery+family drama seems interesting. I have never read a book with LGBTQ theme. So I definitely want to give this book a try. Thanks for your wonderful review!
I hope you enjoy the book if you decide to check it out. Thanks for commenting!

Nqobile771 wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 04:01
Death by unnatural causes always leaves those who remain with questions. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for your comment!

raluca_mihaila wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 15:15
Building a realistic and likable character is very important for me. Sometimes a weak presentation of the characters can ruin a good plot. Thank you for your honest opinion!
Thanks for stopping by to read and comment!

Tarilan wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 04:30
I was wondering how a book can be about a suitcase. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for commenting!

Cynthia Olyy wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 07:56
I love the sincerity in your review. I wish I had made it to a full star because if its potentials. I love it nonetheless!
Thanks for your comment!

Chigo Nwagboso wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 09:56
Great review,.. I likevthwt the characters are likeable and relatable.
Thank you for stopping by!

HannahsReads wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 12:04
I like family dramas and political novels, so I think I would enjoy this! Thanks for your honest review.
I hope you decide to check it out! Thanks for commenting!

Sou Hi
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange trial
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Get Money Do Good by J.D. Vermaas

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for an insightful review. This looks like a nice book about family love. I don't mind the LGBTQ themes, so I would like to know more about Beth's and Troy's story.

Rashida10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashida10.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Postcards by Kim Todd

Post by Rashida10 »

Your review is comprehensively informative and well structured. I hope to read more reviews from you. Thanks for sharing.

lavenderbooks20
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavenderbooks20.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by lavenderbooks20 »

I like the intrigue in this book. A son uncovering the mystery surrounding her mother piqued my curiosity.

Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: This is Not a Lie by S.C. Farrow

Post by Dominik_G »

I'm really curious whether Troy came to the right conclusions about his mother or not. Your review definitely piqued my interest in The Senator's Suitcase. Thank you!

VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

I loved your in-depth analysis of the book and the story. A mystery with a family drama seems very interesting. Also, does an honest politician thing even exist? I will like to find the answer to the question. Thanks for sharing such an insightful review. Great job! 👍

Cullette19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Cullette19 »

I loved the book too, although in the first few chapters it was a bit slow-paced. Detailed review. Thanks for sharing!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”