Official Review: Hi. It's Me Gardenia, An Angel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nickolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Stubborn children by Norio Ando

Official Review: Hi. It's Me Gardenia, An Angel

Post by Nickolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hi. It's Me Gardenia, An Angel" by Joanne Reiner.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hi. It’s Me Gardenia, An Angel by Joanne Reiner is a children’s book about a dog named Gardenia, who writes from Heaven about her life. The writer uses illustrations and simple language to engage young readers in the story. Through this book, the author aims to honor her thirteen-year-old dog who recently died and comfort herself, as well as those who loved Gardenia.

The book is written from Gardenia’s perspective, so it is written in the first person. Gardenia begins by introducing herself, indicating that she is a rescued Maltese doggy, who is thirteen years old and weighs six pounds. She explains that she had diabetes before going to Heaven, so she had to have a shot after every meal. She says that she had three puppies that grew up to become Show Dogs, but after she gave birth to the dogs, she was bought by Mommy (the author of this book). The new family cared and spoiled Gardenia, cleaning her and bathing her. Gardenia became a part of the family, even going shopping with Mommy.

There were some positive characteristics in this novel. Firstly, the book was exceptionally edited, as I only noticed a single error in the whole book. What I liked most in this story was the presence of humor, which gave the book a light-hearted, joyful tone.

Nevertheless, I also encountered some negative attributes in this story. More specifically, the book was not logically and coherently structured, as it was confusing, and the story was hard to comprehend in some parts. Moreover, the novel was boring and monotonous, as it lacked suspense, tension, and drama, thereby creating an uninteresting atmosphere in the text. Also, the book was unoriginal, as the story was very cliché, meaning it lacked creativity and uniqueness. What I disliked most in this novel was the fact that the illustrations were poorly drawn and very unrealistic. I believe that young readers will not be engaged by the illustrations in the book, hence they will find the book boring.

This novel is best suited for young readers who have lost pets, specifically dogs. Girls will prefer this book, as the illustrations are more suited for feminine readers. This book is suited for readers of all religions, including atheist readers.

All in all, I rate this book with 2 out of 4 stars. A lower rating would have been too strict, as this book was enjoyable and professionally edited. However, I did not give it a higher rating, as it was confusing, monotonous, and its illustrations were poor.

Hi. It's Me Gardenia, An Angel
View: on Bookshelves

Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by Dayodiola »

Great review,

Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Samgum50 »

The idea behind this book seems nice but based on your review the execution was a bit off. Nice review!

Koltrast
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading: The Eye of Illumination
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koltrast.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Koltrast »

Writing it out can be a great way to process grief, and hopefully this story will comfort a child and let them come to terms with a pet that has died. Thank you for reviewing this book!
"Oh, how do you solve a problem like Maria?
How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?"
- The Sound of Music

gabrielletiemi
Currently Reading: Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielletiemi.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by gabrielletiemi »

Pretty sad the book was so confusing since the idea of the grief for kids who lost their pets is good. It could help a lot of children. Thanks for the honest review!

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Elvis Best »

Too bad the book wasn't executed properly. I love the concept of a dog writing a book from heaven. Kids will love that too I guess. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by khaulah »

I enjoyed your review. The points you make are justifiable for the lower rating.

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Priyanka2304 »

That was a very unique and special concept about a dog writing stories from heaven. Pet lovers will definitely relate a lot to it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”