Official Review: Proud to Be Me Rosalinda by Jesse Moreno

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Payback
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Chance in a Lifetime by Jennifer Shenefield

Official Review: Proud to Be Me Rosalinda by Jesse Moreno

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Proud to Be Me Rosalinda" by Jesse Moreno.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rosalinda worked as a waitress to support herself. Her paycheck and tips helped pay the bills, so she could be independent and keep a roof over her head. One day, she had a physical altercation with a customer. That got her fired. Unemployed, she decided to heed the advice she had received and pursued a career in boxing. This decision started Rose on a career path where winning was not enough. She wanted to be the world champion. Her deepest desire was to go toe-to-toe with Echo, her hated rival. What caused Rose's deep-seated dislike for this opponent? Will an injury keep her from realizing her dream?

Proud to Be Me Rosalinda by Jesse Moreno is a novel listed under the genre of other fiction. The central theme is a woman's determination never to give up as she pursued her dream. I liked how the main character defined her goal and focused all her efforts on working her plan for success. I liked the book because the author was able to show, through a well-developed character, how a person can achieve their dreams. Even though it is fictional, I found the story to be motivational.

It was captivating to watch Rose transform from a carefree waitress to a disciplined boxer training for every fight. She found love, faced discrimination, grieved the death of a family member, and gained a following of loyal fans. The book follows her boxing career, highlighting her struggles, obstacles, and victories. Her trademark of mariachi music, throwing roses to the crowd, and how she received her boxing nickname will delight and move your heart. I would have liked more details about Echo's background to highlight the schism that developed between Rose and Echo. The author might be saving that background information for the following books in this series.

This book would benefit from another round of proofreading. There were many misspelled words and sentences with an incorrect verb sequence. Sentences like: "Rose’s mom didn’t speak or understood English very well," were common but could be easily corrected. The author needs to ask a native English speaker to revise the manuscript. There was a moderate amount of profanity and some violence. Some readers might not enjoy the detailed descriptions of Rose's boxing matches.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author maintained the flow of the story with unique and unexpected twists and did an amazing job of developing the main character. The editing problems and lack of background about Echo made me lower the score to a three. This novel would delight readers who enjoy sports themes. There is also a strong theme of romance. Readers who like stories with strong female protagonists would enjoy this story.

Proud to Be Me Rosalinda
View: on Bookshelves

Jimc2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimc2001.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by Jimc2001 »

Nice review! Writing is a hard business (or some I'm told). I think many new authors reach the end of a story and find the process of redrafting and proof reading overwhelming. They opt simply to let it go to "print". I think editing and proof reading are just as important as getting the first draft completed. On the other hand, self publishing lets authors who ordinarily wouldn't get published an outlet to tell their stories.

GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: The Lost Years of Billy Battles
Bookshelf Size: 586
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by GiselleBengochea »

:tiphat: Proud to Be Me Rosalinda by Jesse Moreno is a motivational work of fiction. It encourages the reader to never give up and to pursue your dream regardless of the obstacles encountered along the way. This was evidenced in the portrayal of the central character Rosalinda, who worked as a waitress but was fired from her job due to an altercation with a customer. She pursues her dream which is to become a renowned boxer. You did an excellent job in the promotion of this book.

Laurina_Olowo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Laurina_Olowo »

Wow, a woman going into boxing. I think I'll prefer the morale of the story which is never to give up. Thank for a beautiful review

Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Sunday diamond »

Good! It's impressive seeing a woman with such an optimism - a goal chaser. The book looks captivating with your review. Good job on your review.

danielleamy
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: Believe Me,
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

Although this isn't something I would usually select, I like that it has a strong female lead. Sports aren't my preferred genre but the romance is appealing to me. Thanks for the review!
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Jimc2001 wrote:
23 May 2020, 06:07
Nice review! Writing is a hard business (or some I'm told). I think many new authors reach the end of a story and find the process of redrafting and proof reading overwhelming. They opt simply to let it go to "print". I think editing and proof reading are just as important as getting the first draft completed. On the other hand, self publishing lets authors who ordinarily wouldn't get published an outlet to tell their stories.
Yes. This seems to be a repeated cycle! Thanks for your thoughtful comments.

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

GiselleBengochea wrote:
23 May 2020, 08:47
:tiphat: Proud to Be Me Rosalinda by Jesse Moreno is a motivational work of fiction. It encourages the reader to never give up and to pursue your dream regardless of the obstacles encountered along the way. This was evidenced in the portrayal of the central character Rosalinda, who worked as a waitress but was fired from her job due to an altercation with a customer. She pursues her dream which is to become a renowned boxer. You did an excellent job in the promotion of this book.
Thank you, Giselle! The author motivated by showing how Rosalinda followed her dream. I felt inspired!! Thanks for reading and commenting.

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Laurina_Olowo wrote:
23 May 2020, 11:04
Wow, a woman going into boxing. I think I'll prefer the morale of the story which is never to give up. Thank for a beautiful review
I was inspired by Rosalinda. She knew it was not common for a woman to choose this career, but she did not let that stop her. She went after her dream! Thanks so much for reading and commenting.

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Sunday diamond wrote:
23 May 2020, 16:22
Good! It's impressive seeing a woman with such an optimism - a goal chaser. The book looks captivating with your review. Good job on your review.
Rosalinda had to have optimism and courage to keep getting into the ring! Reading this book made me feel motivated and inspired. Thanks for commenting!

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

danielleamy wrote:
24 May 2020, 02:50
Although this isn't something I would usually select, I like that it has a strong female lead. Sports aren't my preferred genre but the romance is appealing to me. Thanks for the review!
I wondered about that too! I was pleasantly surprised by the story line and the motivational tone of the book. The author is planning a series, so I will be able to follow Rosalinda's budding career. Thanks for commenting!

Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Realm Journey
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Susmita Biswas »

This kind of stories always gives inspiration. If a woman can create a new life the there's nothing a woman can't do. Thanks for the review.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:

JM Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jm-reviews.html
Latest Review: A Balm in Gilead by Randall C. Webber

Post by JM Reviews »

Boxing can at times be very dangerous. But I like to read about an ambitious lady. Great review!
Your success is not completely deserved, and the failure of others is not completely deserved either :D

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Susmita Biswas wrote:
27 May 2020, 00:41
This kind of stories always gives inspiration. If a woman can create a new life the there's nothing a woman can't do. Thanks for the review.
Yes. It is inspiring to see Rose triumph, in spite of the many obstacles she faced. Thanks for stopping by! :-)

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

JM Reviews wrote:
27 May 2020, 02:20
Boxing can at times be very dangerous. But I like to read about an ambitious lady. Great review!
This inspired me, also. Boxing is not a common area for women to choose as a career. I admired Rose for pursuing her goal and persevering when she faced difficult times. I hope you get a chance to read this inspiring book. Thanks for commenting!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”