Review by Alilivbo -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alilivbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alilivbo.html
Latest Review: Unfaltering Trust by Roy Ziegler

Review by Alilivbo -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Alilivbo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Before reading this book, I totally have no idea what is fly fishing, yet this is not a book about fly fishing, or not about fly fishing alone. The Reel Sisters written by Michelle Cummings is a novel about five women fly fishers, each of them is from very different walks of life and with very unique characters - strengths and weakness, as well as doubts, fears, and struggles in life. Fly fishing hooked them together as a very distinct group.

The group starts with only four of them, having a weekend fishing gathering in a cabin located in a wood with a nice river nearby. The cabin is like a nest incubating their relationships. The fifth, a young girl joins them in a very unexpected and special way, makes the weekend memories unique for everyone. Their paths cross since then, and the story begins. It is not a plain story about things happen in the present time and space only, those happened in the past and happening far away bring various effects in their present reality lives as well. The author narrated the story from all five women’s perspectives alternatively, so as a reader, it feels like I am having an aerial view over everything. I could read through every character’s mind, experience what they are thinking, struggling or hesitating. I like this a lot because I am not reading from an outsider’s point of view and it brings the story closer to my life.

The only disappointment I had during the reading period was when the conversations among the characters seem a bit too long, not related to fly fishing nor having a necessary role in the storyline. Those little chit-chats are normal in daily life but excessive of them in a novel could be slightly boring.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The editor did an excellent and professional job. However, some profane slang is occasionally being used so this is not a book for children. I recommend every woman to read it, you could possibly find yourself in one or more than one of the characters in the book. No matter what age, status, life stage are you at, or what type of problems are you facing, you definitely could echo with some scenarios and think, “Oh wow! That is exactly what I am encountering!” They act as a mirror, reflecting an authentic part of you, that makes you laugh, cry, or ponder on the reality. 

Someone said this is a women-empowering novel, but I would not view it in that way. One of the characters indeed works in a business sector involving women leadership empowerment, I think the author might project a little bit of herself in that character. Instead, I would rather say the book is telling about friendship and dreams in a woman’s life by using parables illustrated through fly fishing.

Lastly, I particularly like how the author ends the book with an occasion that each of them is represented by a special type of fly, which is what a fly fisher put on the hook to attract fish. That makes the book complete, after all, it is not the fish that matters the most.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”