Review by nenye-christy -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nenye-christy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-christy.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Review by nenye-christy -- The Reel Sisters

Post by nenye-christy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings, tells the tale of five women, Sophie, Rose, Veronica, Amanda, and Melody. These five women often meet together to participate in a sporting activity known as fly fishing. The story in one sentence, brings the tale of these women as they get bonded through their joint participation in this activity.

I found the story with unexpected twists and turns. It was written in sections dedicated to each of the characters in the story. In other words, rather than having chapters, the book was subtitled according to the characters. Each subtitle brought out more on the circumstances surrounding each character, and how they were coping in their respective situations. As earlier mentioned, there were unexpected events that took the story to a whole new dimension. I found the characters representing the typical woman found in various circumstances. You find women who live with the memories of losing loved ones early in life, others live for the pleasure of the present, whilst there are some who don't have everything rosy, but have to deal with coping with difficulties in finances. Others have huge burdens of having to fend for their families, while supporting husbands who are defending their respective countries in the armed forces, and have to be away from home. It was interesting to note how these characters represented various groups of the women folk according to their circumstances.

The character description was quite memorable. Of the lot, Amanda's character made the most impression. It shook me as a reader to read through her personal experiences, and her courage in bracing all that she had to go through. Her experiences brought tears to my eyes, and I sincerely wished that she didn't have to go through what she passed through. But what gave me joy was the solace these women found in each other, as they spent time together. The companionship they shared helped offset a lot of burdens. It's something we can all learn from.

I loved everything about this book, and disliked nothing about it. I also noted the professionalism employed in the editing of the book. I found no errors.

It is with great satisfaction that I am rating the book 4 out of 4 stars. The concept behind the book was both realistic, and educative. I must commend the author for a job well done.

I am recommending the book to all female readers above the age of 18. The book has a lot to offer every woman who cares to pick a copy of this book.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nehal Mitna
Favorite Book: The Champagne Tales
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nehal-mitna.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nehal Mitna »

Great review!
monserrat_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monserrat-21.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by monserrat_21 »

When I read this book, it was also Amanda who made the biggest impression on me. I'm still sad about what happened to her. I really enjoyed the rest of the characters and the friendship between them. The book is definitely one I would reccomend, it's so well written and realistic. I enjoyed reading and learning about fly fishing too!
Great review.
“That’s the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.”

Jhumpa Lahiri
honesty_pays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honesty-pays.html
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino

Post by honesty_pays »

An interesting review. This book was so helpful for me as it thought me the value of true friendship
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”