Official Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Battlemind by Michael Waddington

Official Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sandra Eden's War" by Michael Low.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As Hitler’s Nazi regime devastates Europe, Great Britain and her allies prepare for a large-scale invasion to free France and push back the German forces. Sandra Eden is part of a special team and is assigned to disrupt German support systems in northern France in advance of the invasion near Normandy. With the help of the French resistance forces, she must maneuver through the fortified French countryside to complete her missions. Sandra Eden’s War, by Mike Low, is the story of one of Britain’s finest, serving her country and risking her life to do her part in the war against tyranny.

Author Mike Low has a clear and crisp writing style that is both engaging and informative. There are quite a few characters who make appearances and each one adds depth to the story. As countries fall like dominoes to the Nazis, the effort to resist German occupation is nothing short of an international operation. While thorough character development might be appreciated in other stories, it is limited here. I found this appropriate for the book’s topic and plot; too much dialogue or focus on the characters would have distracted from the overall conflict and point of the story. The urgent and austere atmosphere in occupied France is reflected in the writing; most of the dialogue was concise and to the point, and an energetic tempo was maintained throughout the book.

Did large countries like France just wave a white flag? Didn’t they do anything to help themselves? The best part of this book was the historical context and tone. Most people know about the Allied invasion in 1944, but not many know of the intricate resistance networks that provided critical support for the foot soldiers who stormed the beaches. The themes of patriotism, camaraderie, and survival are seen here in the descriptions of the perils of war. Lost agents are readily replaced. Decisions are made that sacrifice some for the good of the whole. In this way, history is brought to life; not just the heroic endings but also the sacrifices of many along the treacherous road to victory.

There is nothing I did not like about this book. It is professionally edited, and I did not see any errors, even in the two other languages that were used in the text. Because of the story’s immersion in history, its flawless editing, and the author’s voice, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. Storytelling is a wonderful, intriguing way to learn about the past, and stories such as these give a unique perspective to one of the many behind-the-scenes operations during World War II.

I highly recommend this book for all readers who enjoy history, historical fiction, or mystery. This would be an excellent choice for middle and high school students. Given there is very mild profanity, I could easily see this on a reading list for history or psychology students. American students, in particular, would benefit from learning about different perspectives, as many of the stories given to them are those from the perspective of American soldiers. Overall, this is a satisfying book that will leave readers more informed about the scope of the resistance to German occupation and the sacrifices made by civilians to free Europe from oppression.

Sandra Eden's War
View: on Bookshelves

Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

Great! As a thinker with the consciousness of History and International Studies, I'd be reading this book as it will help widen my horizon. Great review. I applaud the author's writing skills as well.

Laurina_Olowo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Laurina_Olowo »

Awesome. I'm sure there were a lot of people who risked their lives for their country. Beautiful review.

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Adanna Inya »

Fantastic! I'm reading this. I love strong women who do not shy away from responsibilities.

Jachike Samuelson
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 91
Currently Reading: Of Zots & Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jachike-samuelson.html
Latest Review: V.R.evolution by Dougie Black

Post by Jachike Samuelson »

I'm just enthused that a woman is the hero in a war story. This makes this book unconventional, and consequently, worth a try.

Zee_Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zee-zee.html
Latest Review: The Musings of an Old Lady by Barb McIntyre

Post by Zee_Zee »

I think this is an interesting read especially because of it's strong female character. The author did a great job. Thanks for this review.

Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

It is not everyday that we get to see or read books where the hero is a woman, especially not in the context of war.

This makes the book an interesting read.

Harty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty.html
Latest Review: Big Bunches At The Jam Factory by Keith.paulusse

Post by Harty »

I just like a spy story that is based on the great wars. This one about Sandra seems like a must read. Thanks for the impressive review.

fadjei
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fadjei.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by fadjei »

I love books related to historical events. It's interesting to see a woman as the main character in this type of story, as you usually don't see that when it come to war. I think I will have to check this book out.
Thanks for the review!

geebeex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geebeex.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by geebeex »

I love reading books about World War 2 - I always find I learn so much about both the war and humanity as a whole. Thanks for your great review.

10mile72
Currently Reading: Ten Tough Problems in Christian Thought and Belief
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

Sandra sounds like an interesting character. Plus, I enjoy stories that revolve around Nazi Germany. I may give this one a look. Thanks for the great review, Kansas City. :techie-studyingbrown:

cristinaro
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 549
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristinaro.html
Latest Review: The Last of Ryn Dvarek: A Journey Into Dreams by D.R. O'Shea
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cristinaro »

I'd love to read and learn more stories of those involved in the French resistance and other behind-the-scene operations in WWII. I'm particularly drawn to the historical atmosphere of the novel. Thanks for a great review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)

book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by book_fanatic_ »

A book about Hitler and Nazis! Sounds exciting. I would surely give it a try. Nice review.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard

Sally_Heart
2018 Reading Goal: 150
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 600
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Sally_Heart »

This book really amazes me since it talks about how a woman has led her country through a resistance. Back then there were numerous women who were used as spies and they were fundamental in the rise and fall of countries. great review.

Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Splendour0606 »

I love stories with strong female characters. I commend the author for a book well written. Thanks for the informative review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”