Review by Leen282 -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leen282
2021 Reading Goal: 26
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Review by Leen282 -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Leen282 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings talks about five women, each with their background and their own story, who have met and developed a profound friendship through fly fishing. The book starts when four women enjoy a weekend together, fly fishing during the day, and enjoying each other's company in the cabin of one of them in the mornings and evenings. Their fishing suddenly gets interrupted when a naked woman floats by, yelling for help.

The four women manage to catch the naked girl and bring her safely onshore. Soon Melody becomes part of their group. She learns to fly fish, and she is captivated right away, both by the sport and by the friendship with Rose, Sophie, Veronica, and Amanda.

The author writes each chapter from the perspective of one of the friends. She describes their character, thoughts, feelings. We can read how they evolve and how they react to certain events, always supported by the friendship of the four other women.

I rate this book a solid 4 out of 4 stars. The very first sentence already made me smile ('What are you wading for?'). The writing style is smooth and light. The author succeeds in keeping the attention of the reader when going into technical explanations on fly fishing; it is all described in a way that even non-fishers can understand.

The five friends have very different personalities, which transpire clearly in the book. The reader can watch them grow, deal with difficult and challenging circumstances, lean on each other for support. The book also includes tips and tricks on how to deal with such challenging situations without sounding pedantic. When I checked the author to see if she has written any other novels, I was not surprised to see she has written books in the field of teambuilding.

The final few chapters are intense. I was not able to put the book down; I wanted to know what was going to happen and how the five women would react. The story resonated so well with me that I got emotional, experiencing what the friends were feeling, processing the events while reading.

It is a book to read again. I am sure that more details will become apparent; the stories will get more depth. Knowing how it ends will not be a spoiler for this book; on the contrary, it will give the second reading a different angle.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

It’s been a while, probably a lifetime, since I saw a union of people so compatible. Thanks for the review
Savannah M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannah-m.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Savannah M »

I agree with your review - that even non-fishers can understand while reading the book. I'm also totally hooked with the ending and I feel like I've just read it wrong. Hopefully, there would be a sequel. Can't wait to find out more about them.
Leen282
2021 Reading Goal: 26
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Savannah M wrote: 08 May 2020, 19:45 I agree with your review - that even non-fishers can understand while reading the book. I'm also totally hooked with the ending and I feel like I've just read it wrong. Hopefully, there would be a sequel. Can't wait to find out more about them.
I'd love to read a sequel!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”