Review by VictorKE -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
VictorKE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victorke.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Review by VictorKE -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by VictorKE »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Friendships are born in a million different ways, and all good friends strive to achieve the same goal: to be a source of love and support. Finding a true friend feels like a gift that keeps on going, even when they are thousands of miles away. According to Tamil’s quotes, it is one such pure relationship that helps us in developing a sense of friendship. The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings, is a heart-warming story about five women from different backgrounds, who are brought together not only by their love toward fly fishing but also by building their friendship.

The story is told from the first-person point of view, revolving around each of the five characters (Sophie, Rose, Veronica, Amanda, and Melody). Sophie is the main character of the story. Through her, we are introduced to the rest of the four women in the story. Having watched a movie by the name “A River Runs Through It”, Sophie developed an interest in fly fishing. She later introduces some of her friends to this activity. Rose is the eldest among them. Sophie met her at the fly shop, and they instantly become friends. She owned a cabin where her friends could spend a weekend enjoying themselves.

Amanda is one the youngest among them. She is a teacher, and her husband has just been deployed to Afghanistan for military purposes. This makes it difficult for her to cope up with her daily duties, being a young mother of two. Veronica, on the other hand, is happily married and owns a company called Executive Coaching for Women, which help top-level women leaders to achieve their professional goals. While on their normal weekend activities (fly fishing), they rescued a young lady by the name Melody, who was being swept by water downstream, and she joins them.

I enjoyed reading this book. Written from a first-person point of view, I could experience the story as the women narrate. The book is divided into ten sections, each of them beginning with a quote from fly fishing books, making it more appealing and interesting. My favorite character was Sophie, her caring and loving attitude embraced me. I was also happy with the way the four women, generously helped Melody when she was being tossed and turned by the rapid currents, thus saving her life.

Spanning through the pages of this wonderful book, I was impressed by how organized and procedural this book had been woven. I could not find any error or anything to dislike about this book. It has been professionally edited, and its storyline is interesting and engaging. The plot was also well developed. There were no extreme cases of erotic graphics that could turn any reader away. I only realized a few cases of borderline profanity in the text, which are justifiable in any normal conversation.

The topics of marriage, love, education, work, and leisure were evident throughout the whole text—which was indeed very informative. On this premise, I rate The Reel Sisters 4 out 4 stars. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in fly fishing activities, and also to those who enjoy while reading books about women.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elwyn23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elwyn23.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Elwyn23 »

Nice review! You explained the plot really well without giving too much away. The concept of this book seems really interesting and very well planned, so sounds like it will definitely find its audience.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I also read this book and loved it, and I agree, the alternating first-person narrative was a nice touch. Thanks for your lovely review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”