Review by Carolreads30 -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Review by Carolreads30 -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Carolreads30 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strong Heart, written by Charlie Sheldon, is a fascinating fiction story that weaves historical fiction and Native American legend within the story. With 276 pages, this story will capture your attention the moment that 13 year-old, Sarah appears on her grandfather's doorstep. A story that takes place in two separate time periods that easily weave into one story. I suggest that if you are not familiar with the area that the book is set in that you spend some time looking at the maps in the front of the book. I would highly recommend this book to teens, young adults, and adults.

Tom is preparing to leave for a hike in Olympia National Park, with a group of Native American friends, when suddenly, a young girl that he knows nothing about is dropped at his door step for him to care for. Should he take her on this trip to a land of beauty, history, and legend to honor his grandfather or cancel the trip? Is it safe to take this young girl on a trip to the rugged area they will be traveling in? Only time will tell if this journey and Tom will teach Sarah a lesson or if Tom will learn something himself.

Although the story takes place in two time periods, the author has done a fabulous job of writing the story to allow the reader to know exactly which time period is being written about. The story flows nicely between the two periods and easily web into one story that has a hint of mystery and history in it. Native American legends are an important part of the adventure that Sarah takes while on the trip with her grandfather.

I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. The descriptive writing allows the reader to picture what the setting is like and how the landscape and terrain of the land actually lie. The story is interesting and the language very appropriate for many age groups. I enjoyed the look into the legends of the Native American's and the connection that this trip allows Sarah to have with her grandfather, as well as her great-grandfather. Well written and well edited book. I would say that the author was flawless on this book.

I can't say anything bad about this book. As I stated before, Mr. Sheldon outdid himself with this book. The reader can tell that he knows the area that he writes about well and that his descriptions bring the book to life. I would say it is the perfect read!

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

This sounds like an interesting premise. I love books about kids and am fascinated with Native American history, so it seems like this book is right up my alley! I always love the "Little Orphan Annie" plot. I'm putting this one on my (ever-expanding *sigh) reading list! Thanks for the well-written review; I enjoyed reading it!
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

From your reveiw I know I am definately going to enjoy this book and I look forward to reading it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”