Official Review: Kyle and The Key by Pam Dabon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 338
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Brett Humphrey

Official Review: Kyle and The Key by Pam Dabon

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kyle and The Key" by Pam Dabon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kyle and his best friend Kevin are victims of a bully. Burley, the bully, is relentless and harasses almost everyone in their class. Afraid to tell, they still want it to stop. One day, while Kyle is in an altercation with Burley, two angels show up looking for a key. What ensues is a lesson in bullying and dealing with bullies.

Kyle and The Key: The Guardian Angel Chronicles Book 2 by Pam Dabon is a fun and interesting story for children that also has a great lesson. It's a short chapter book that would be appropriate for those looking to transition from children's books. The vocabulary isn't too advanced, and it doesn't take long to read; however, it's noteworthy that there are no pictures. A family reading this together would be ideal, as it would be engaging even to children that aren't able to read it by themselves. 

The book does incorporate the author's faith. There are angels, dark angels, and talk of our Heavenly Father. It's never explicitly mentioned, but it does seem to be Christian. I wouldn't advise it for those that would be offended by such, as the entire story hinges on these angels. 

I liked the incorporation of an engaging story with an important moral. Bullying is too prevalent, and we must all do our part to eliminate it. Ms. Dabon is realistic about expectations and directs the reader, at the end, as to exactly what one should do in this type of situation. Since she uses Kyle to do so, this would go over well with kids.

Though the book's title mentions this is book two, there were no issues with reading it alone. I had not read the first book and had no problem in figuring out the story or the characters.

Speaking of the characters, Kyle and Kevin are well-defined for their age. They were in middle school and behaved as such. To keep the story short, not much is mentioned outside the main story. This was a plus in that it kept the length manageable, yet it does mean I wasn't as emotionally attached as I wanted to be; however, this was a minor problem that didn't detract from the message or content of the story.

I would like to compliment the author/publisher on the editing. It was exceptional, as I found no errors. The book was well written with vocabulary fitting for the intended audience.

All in all, I see no reason not to give Kyle and The Key: The Guardian Angel Chronicles Book 2 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to early middle school students or families with younger children who want to discuss bullying in a manner that includes faith. This could very well open up the lines of communication between children and their parents or teachers. I can't wait to find out what the subject of book one was.

Kyle and The Key
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

No pictures of the said angels? I am of the opinion that children would enjoy a book better when it has pictures. These pictures would captivate them. Anyways, this is a good review!

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cynthia_Oluchi wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 11:07
No pictures of the said angels? I am of the opinion that children would enjoy a book better when it has pictures. These pictures would captivate them. Anyways, this is a good review!
A picture or two might be good, but this is definitely targeting a bit older group of children. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Caffrey_19
2019 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Caffrey_19 »

Kyle and Kevin are victims of Burley the bully. No one likes a bully, at least most people don’t. Burley has to learn to act cool the easy way or otherwise. Good review

Laurina_Olowo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Laurina_Olowo »

Bullying is a vice needed to be addressed for preteens and teens and I'm happy this book was written for them. I believe children will love to know what to do about bullying when faced with it just as this book advised. Beautiful review here, well done.

praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

Children and teenagers will definitely pick up a lesson or two in this book. I appreciate the author for dealing specifically on the issue of bullying especially in schools. You did a great job on this review.

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Caffrey_19 wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 13:13
Kyle and Kevin are victims of Burley the bully. No one likes a bully, at least most people don’t. Burley has to learn to act cool the easy way or otherwise. Good review
Thanks. I thought it was a good book with a great lesson.
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Laurina_Olowo wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 06:22
Bullying is a vice needed to be addressed for preteens and teens and I'm happy this book was written for them. I believe children will love to know what to do about bullying when faced with it just as this book advised. Beautiful review here, well done.
Yes, bullying is all too common these days. I think this book teaches a great way to deal with them. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

praise+anyi wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 11:22
Children and teenagers will definitely pick up a lesson or two in this book. I appreciate the author for dealing specifically on the issue of bullying especially in schools. You did a great job on this review.
Thank you. I know this could help many out there. I hope that many read this.
-Louisa May Alcott

Miraphery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Claimed by Rafa by Denna Holm

Post by Miraphery »

This would make a great read for children as there are lessons to learn plus the easy vocabulary used by the author. Nice review.

Tavaiel26
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by Tavaiel26 »

I was surprised when you mentioned this book doesn't have pictures... I guess thats ok for sort of a middle school target. Bulling is such an issue at that age.

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Miraphery wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 06:32
This would make a great read for children as there are lessons to learn plus the easy vocabulary used by the author. Nice review.
You're absolutely correct. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Tavaiel26 wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 08:00
I was surprised when you mentioned this book doesn't have pictures... I guess thats ok for sort of a middle school target. Bulling is such an issue at that age.
I've seen books like this with pictures at the very beginning of chapters. Still, I think it can stand on its own. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott

Sushan
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 120
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: A Tale of Two Cities
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: My Island Home by Penelope Ann Smith-Carter Dichiera

Post by Sushan »

Sounds like an interesting book which discusses about an common, yet important issue. Thanks for sharing 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sushan wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 10:06
Sounds like an interesting book which discusses about an common, yet important issue. Thanks for sharing 👍👍
It is. It's worth reading with your children. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”