Official Review: God's Cruel Joke by Ray Pierson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: God's Cruel Joke by Ray Pierson

Official Review: God's Cruel Joke by Ray Pierson

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God's Cruel Joke" by Ray Pierson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

College is a unique moment in one’s life. It's when one gets the first taste of the freedom and responsibilities of adulthood while going through many perspective-changing experiences. This is especially true for Hunter Stockton, a young man aspiring to be a journalist. His best friend is the infamous Jeremy Thompson, who has little to no respect for rules, authority, and basic human decency, choosing to make the most out of anything regardless of the consequences. Despite being repeatedly warned by others, Hunter always sees himself getting dragged by his friend into several insane situations.

Ray Pierson’s God’s Cruel Joke is a comedy-drama that combines philosophical reflections and all of the debaucheries one could expect from college life. As he narrates the story and describes the various exploits and adventures he takes part in, Hunter adds observations that connect the events to broader aspects of existence in society.

While the narration is one of the novel’s unique points and an element that could turn this into a great book, it often feels meandering and tiresome. Hunter’s monologues sometimes go on for too long, featuring awkward sentences ("The universe has an odd perfection to it, we would like to think that there are perfect people, but they all pale in comparison") and repetitions (in the first chapter, for example, the expression "let's face it" is used three times in two paragraphs).

What I liked the most about the book was the interesting relationship between Hunter and Jeremy, especially how it relates to the former’s psyche. A part of the main character questions why he follows such an irresponsible, megalomaniacal person, but another part craves for a glimpse into chaos, the unpredictable, the underbelly of society. In this sense, Jeremy can be seen as a sort of drug for Hunter, a way to escape the mundane and experience the extraordinary.

The book could use another round of editing, as I found six errors, mostly misplaced punctuation and misspelled words, on top of the awkward sentences mentioned earlier. Because of this and the somewhat tiring monologues, I rate God’s Cruel Joke 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone who enjoys stories filled with wild adventures, drugs, and sex. This is definitely not a book for younger audiences due to the high number of profanities and mature themes. Similarly, if you’re uncomfortable with crude humor and obscenity in general, you’ll likely want to skip this one.

God's Cruel Joke
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: Making Sense of Poetry by Rex W Last

Post by Ogoskino »

Learning about Jeremy's college life sounds like fun. I would be reading this one when I have the time. Thanks for the review.

espo
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 405
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espo.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by espo »

This sounds like a lighthearted read, and I can imagine how Hunter’s monologues would sound awkward and out of place amongst college life debaucheries. Thank you for your well-written review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

espo wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 04:43
This sounds like a lighthearted read, and I can imagine how Hunter’s monologues would sound awkward and out of place amongst college life debaucheries. Thank you for your well-written review!
Ogoskino wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 03:36
Learning about Jeremy's college life sounds like fun. I would be reading this one when I have the time. Thanks for the review.
It's a very fun read indeed, though some readers might be bothered by the monologues. Thanks for the comments!

Salma_asa
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Meryl Streep: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Salma_asa »

The title of the book is captivating. You wrote an wonderful review! I enjoyed reading it. I may read this book as well!

Frances019
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frances019.html
Latest Review: The M in Man is For Money: Reloaded by Passport Cutty

Post by Frances019 »

Sounds interesting, I may give this a go. Thanks for the review.

kimmie2128
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmie2128.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by kimmie2128 »

It sounds like an entertaining read, I’ll likely be given it a read. Thanks for the review!

Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Frances019 wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 13:48
kimmie2128 wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 14:39
It sounds like an entertaining read, I’ll likely be given it a read. Thanks for the review!
Salma_asa wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 04:14
The title of the book is captivating. You wrote an wonderful review! I enjoyed reading it. I may read this book as well!
Thanks for the comments!

Salma_asa
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Meryl Streep: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Salma_asa »

Tomah wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 01:21
Frances019 wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 13:48
kimmie2128 wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 14:39
Salma_asa wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 04:14
Thanks for the comments!
You are welcome!

Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

How awkward did Hunter's monologue really sound? This got me curious and I should find out. This Is a good review.

Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Cynthia_Oluchi wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 14:00
How awkward did Hunter's monologue really sound? This got me curious and I should find out. This Is a good review.
I was mostly turned off by the repetitions, questionable comma placement, and taking too long to get to the point. Still, I suppose some people could enjoy this style. Thanks for the comment!

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: Naked Truth by Carrie Hayes

Post by Cotwani »

I wonder how the title ties in with the book which sounds quite philosophical. Congratulations for braving it. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Apex Five
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Purple Hearted Man by Jack W. McDaniel

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a novel to read when you need to have a laugh, though it contains drama as well. Thank you for your informative review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”