Official Review: Unwanted by Mary E. Sandford

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OfficialEmma
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: The Shattered Vase
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialemma.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Official Review: Unwanted by Mary E. Sandford

Post by OfficialEmma »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unwanted" by Mary E. Sandford.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Deborah Spencer’s life gets complicated as her father leaves when she is just a kid and her mother gets addicted to alcohol. As a result, Debbie’s mom, Carol Spencer, is taken to Alcoholics Anonymous to recover. Uncle Lloyd takes Debbie to The Evergreen Home, popularly called The Home, where orphans and kids from troubled homes are catered for. The kids at The Home don’t know that Debbie is not an orphan like them because there doesn’t seem to be any difference between her and the other kids.

At The Home, Debbie makes friends with Noreen, Paul, Sharon, and Mary Ellen. They give her the feeling of siblings she never had. Debbie finds herself loving Mary Ellen as though she were her kid sister. But Beverly Jensen, a rude, spoiled girl is brought to The Home, and she begins to bully Mary Ellen. Debbie would have to protect Mary Ellen like a big sister. But could it be that they are actually related or fate just brought these two strangers together?

Unwanted by Mary E. Sandford is a fictional story based on real-life facts. The book has 41 chapters. The 40 chapters with uniform prefixes were well-thought-out. This book chronicles the life experiences of young Debbie Spencer who got her overwhelming share of ups and downs at a very tender age. Being taunted at The Home, the community, and her school, Hirsch Elementary School, twelve-year-old Debbie begins to think that she is Unwanted. But is she really unwanted, or she’s looking for acceptance from the wrong people?

Debbie is the protagonist, and the story is written in the first-person narrative. Debbie is a good Christian girl with a disciplined character, thanks to her grandma, which she usually called Gram. Gram had a deep influence on Debbie. Even though Gram had passed on, her words of wisdom and advice were very much alive in Debbie’s heart. Gram’s words kept guiding Debbie’s decisions and actions to love people and always seek the good of others. She consistently stood for what’s right, no matter who was involved.

What I liked most was how Debbie stood up to her teacher, Mr. Kelly, who kept talking her down and punishing her unfairly. Mr. Kelly had a special love for Roberta Solomon and they both taunted Debbie in their unique ways. How is Debbie going to cope in class with this form of bullying upon the crisis she’s already going through? Will she succumb or overcome?

Even though most of this book is fiction, some parts are non-fiction. The fire incident that claimed 95 lives, including nuns, teachers, and children, at Our Lady of the Angels School, Chicago, happened on December 1, 1958. This event really affected the lives of those who lost loved ones and witnessed the incident, and through this book, their memory lives on. One can’t help but wonder what caused the fire.

This being Mary E. Sandfords’ debut book, I must commend her for a job well done and the deep research she carried out to produce this intriguing read. The book was perfectly presented and had a happy ending with no loose end. There were no negatives. There was nothing I disliked about the book. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The writing style was expository and narrative. The suspense was mild and the tension was moderate. The pace was well-developed. The tale was engaging as I journeyed with Debbie through her experiences. The book was professionally proofread. I only noticed four errors — a missing genitive, an unnecessary pronoun, an extra modal verb, and a capitalization error. However, these errors do not affect the smooth read.

As I journeyed with Debbie, I felt her pain and joy. I also like the bit of humor the author added to ease the tension. This book makes us realize what orphans really go through psychologically. They are so hopeful, wishing for someone to want them enough to show them love. I strongly recommend this book to orphans, kids having trouble at home, and parents. As often as we can, let’s try to visit orphanage homes around us and show those precious kids that they are loved and wanted.

Unwanted
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, do things worth writing about or write things worth reading about.

adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by adamgreenrock »

If the book develops its characters and family dynamics well, I'd definitely give it a shot. I love a good story with family elements in it. Thanks for your review!

OfficialEmma

Post by OfficialEmma »

adamgreenrock wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 07:53
If the book develops its characters and family dynamics well, I'd definitely give it a shot. I love a good story with family elements in it. Thanks for your review!
Yes, the characters were well-developed. The author did a good job working out the development of the numerous characters with more emphasis on Debbie Spencer and Mary Ellen. Sure, you'd enjoy the read. Thanks for your comment.
If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, do things worth writing about or write things worth reading about.

Dannyphery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Dannyphery »

Wow... Life must have been really hard for young Debbie having to go through all this.
Sounds like an interesting one.
Thanks for the nice review

Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Debby must be a well-developed character. I am beginning to like her already! Thank you for this review.

Songjohn007
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-songjohn007.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Songjohn007 »

Thanks for your review, it already makes me have interest in reading the book, but I don't understand why Debbie should suffer through The Home while the mother was still alive.

OfficialEmma

Post by OfficialEmma »

Dannyphery wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 13:46
Wow... Life must have been really hard for young Debbie having to go through all this.
Sounds like an interesting one.
Thanks for the nice review
Yes, indeed. Thank you for stopping by.

OfficialEmma

Post by OfficialEmma »

Cynthia_Oluchi wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 14:42
Debby must be a well-developed character. I am beginning to like her already! Thank you for this review.
Oh, you are going to love her! Thanks for stopping by.

OfficialEmma

Post by OfficialEmma »

Songjohn007 wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 15:17
Thanks for your review, it already makes me have interest in reading the book, but I don't understand why Debbie should suffer through The Home while the mother was still alive.
Her mother was an alcoholic, and leaving a kid with an alcoholic is dangerous. You'd love the read. Thanks for your comment.

Songjohn007
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-songjohn007.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Songjohn007 »

The mother being alcoholic shouldn't have expose such a little child to The Home when the mother or father is having family I guess, but many thanks to the author for the great work.

OfficialEmma

Post by OfficialEmma »

Songjohn007 wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 16:57
The mother being alcoholic shouldn't have expose such a little child to The Home when the mother or father is having family I guess, but many thanks to the author for the great work.
Which is why we wonder if Debbie is wanted or "Unwanted." Thanks for your comment.

Nerea
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 166
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: The Attuned
Bookshelf Size: 367
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: The Billionaires’ Handbook by Andrew Stevenson

Post by Nerea »

Sounds like an emotional and inspiring story about Debbie. It is distressing to feel unwanted. But how does Debbie cope with it? I think I'll check the book to find out. I appreciate your well-written review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."

OfficialEmma

Post by OfficialEmma »

Nerea wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 18:36
Sounds like an emotional and inspiring story about Debbie. It is distressing to feel unwanted. But how does Debbie cope with it? I think I'll check the book to find out. I appreciate your well-written review.
Thanks for stopping by, Nerea.

Tavaiel26
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tavaiel26 »

But is she really unwanted, or she’s looking for acceptance from the wrong people?

What a great question and message!
A well-researched book is always the way to my heart!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 348
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: No One Has More Love Than This... by Warren Robinson

Post by kdstrack »

Debbie's life, apart from her family, motivated her to choose some friends to be her family. I am intrigued about Debbie's relationship with Mary Ellen. I love the inclusion of historical events. Great writing!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”