Official Review: Opposites Attract by Zahra Habib

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sandraev
Currently Reading: Double Visions
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandraev.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: Opposites Attract by Zahra Habib

Post by sandraev »

[The following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of Zahra Habib's book "Opposites Attract".]

Hiba Khan’s book Opposites Attract is a Romantic Fiction story set in Pakistan. It is a story of friendship and love. The main characters are a woman named Ayza and a man named Fahad. Ayza and her family move back into her childhood home after a recent tragedy. The childhood menace, Fahad, still lives next door and she hasn’t forgotten the pranks he used to play on her. Determined to avoid him while mourning a loss is proving difficult however, as the hi-jinks haven’t been outgrown. The saying opposites attract is true for this book but will these two realize their attraction before it's too late?

I really enjoyed this book because the main characters were easy to identify with. We all have experienced tragedy and mourning as well as joyous periods of life. Ayza seems more serious about life and Fahad seems more of a jokester. It reminded me a lot of my marriage. I’m more the serious one and my husband seeks ways to make me laugh and smile. I found Fahad’s pranks entertaining because of this.

“You live by loving every second, by having no regrets and no resentment. Ayza, don’t think about the past as a punishment. Take it as a chapter of life. The book of life goes on. You are the writer, and it is up to you how you will write it. Fill it with as much fun, laughter and love as you can, so that when you reach the end you won’t have any regrets. Instead, you’ll have a happy ending and a life full of happy memories…” (Page 79) I found this quote particularly inspiring because it resonated true for me. None of us know exactly how long a life we have and filling it with sadness and regret doesn't make much sense; as Ayza’s mother points out.

In general I found it an easy read although some of the wording could be changed to make more sense these instances were very few and far between. One such instance Ayza’s hair was described as being “open”; at first I was confused but taking into account that this was taking place in another country (from me) I assumed this meant down as opposed to pulled up in a bun or something and was more of a cultural difference such as “Tomato vs. Tomato”. Also the character Ibrahim was never really known by the audience and this distances the relationship and connection we could feel with him which would make the story more intense and personal.

It is for these reasons I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the story and connected to it on a really personal level. I was inspired by an overall theme of living life with no regrets yet wasn't as connected to all of the characters as I could have been. We are the writers of our own story and it would be tragic if that story was filled with regret instead of happy memories. Let’s strive to live our lives the best way we can. I recommend this book as a light read for those who enjoy romantic comedy.

View Opposites Attract on Amazon
Doris8
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Doris8 »

From the quick sample that I have read I think I could really like this book. I think the story line is interesting because its true that when to people try to hard to not like one another its because they find the other person interesting and want to get to know them but want to play it off. Upon reading the entire book I think I will be able to give a better review.
hibakhan

Post by hibakhan »

Thanks!! The novel is available on Amazon if you wish to purchase it
vickie kern

Post by vickie kern »

Just reading the first chapter , the book seems interesting and I would enjoy reading it.
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. A light hearted romantic story about living life with no regrets sounds good to me. Congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Childhood enemies turned lovers? That's a classic theme in romantic fictions but I will give this book a try. Fahad and Ayza seem like a great team. Thank you for your review!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Bancroft
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bancroft.html
Latest Review: "Unshielded Past" by Patti Morelli

Post by Bancroft »

I really like love stories and the one stated in the review fascinates me, overall a good review
Latest Review: "Unshielded Past" by Patti Morelli
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A love story set in Pakistan sounds unique. Wow, serious Ayza and easy-going Fahad sound like true opposites. It is an added bonus when the main characters were easy to identify with. I am glad you found it an easy read despite some awkward wordings. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

I like rom coms. Nice review. Thanks 😊
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the idea of living life to the fullest. Sounds like the characters are easy to identify with each is nice. Thanks for the insightful review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chuks Daniel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chuks-daniel.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by Chuks Daniel »

This novel is the kind of romance fiction that provokes the reader's thoughts. The concept is unique and catchy.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Witty and light love stories are my thing! Omg, I can't wait to read this! Thanks for this detailed review. Merry Christmas!!
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

I like to read romantic books and this one sounds very interesting. Ayza is serious about life and Fahad is a prankster; their life will definitely not be boring.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Book seem quite interesting! even thought the story is set in pakistan, actually it really kicked off! Good job and I'm glad the reviewer found this book close to her heart.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kate_nguyen
Currently Reading: Alexis Zorba
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-nguyen.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by kate_nguyen »

The review gives me an impression that this is a chick-flick book and even though I am not looking for an easy read, I will keep it in mind when I want some romance.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”