Official Review: Behind The White Coat

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 77
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: Behind The White Coat by Dr. Abiola Opeitum MD, FRCPC

Official Review: Behind The White Coat

Post by inaramid »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Behind The White Coat" by Dr. Abiola Opeitum MD, FRCPC.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When your life hangs in the balance, you’ll have to trust the “person in the white coat” to see you through. In Behind the White Coat, this is exactly what Sharon Lancaster did when she felt a worrisome lump in her breast. But after consultations with one doctor after another, Sharon inexplicably dies while receiving treatment. Who can blame her friend, Dr. Viola Shunt, from suspecting medical error and negligence? Dr. Shunt’s investigation exposes medical misadventures, corrupt hospital policies, and a pervasive culture of silence that protects guilty doctors from taking accountability for their mistakes.

A practicing physician herself, author Abiola Opeitum uses her protagonist’s quest for the truth to highlight the unsavory side of medicine. The book is virtually a running commentary on the practice of medicine in the modern world, as Opeitum laments the decay of her own profession. A recurring message is this: Medicine is now about “revenue rather than humanity,” and doctors have become willing players in what Opeitum dubs as “a game of turning symptoms into illnesses and illnesses to business.”

One cannot doubt the timeliness, gravity, and relevance of the book’s message. This is a story that needs to be told, and there’s no one better than a medical doctor to blow the proverbial whistle. Unfortunately, every aspect of the book — the characters, the storyline, and the writing — is so problematic that I have to rate it 1 out of 4 stars.

First, there’s no one to root for here. There’s nothing wrong with flawed characters at all, but Sharon and Dr. Shunt are just too flawed to even be remotely likable. Both have severe insecurities about being black women, and while there's an underlying commentary on racism here, their perpetual anxieties about being black also make them seem unbearably paranoid. Both are apparently religious, yet they also blame every misfortune on God's "indifference to the black race." The biggest problem of all, however, is their baffling incompetence. Sharon, a police officer, doesn't know what "code blue" in a hospital means. Dr. Shunt, on the other hand, is clueless about basic medical concepts like the difference between a gene and a genome. And after stumbling upon a piece of information that could break the case open, Dr. Shunt goes straight to somebody she knows she can’t trust because — oops — she forgot!

Second, the storyline suffers from irrelevant details, tangents, and just a general lack of coherence. Minor details (e.g., Sharon’s cup size) are unduly emphasized, and the narrative segues to discussions (e.g., pros and cons of EMRs) that have no impact on the plot. Just as the story is drawing to a close, the narrative shifts into another commentary on the healthcare system in American prisons and the issue of cultural assimilation in Canada. It’s just a bit too much for the scope of one novel.

Finally, the writing is a mess. Describing a black character’s “cocoa brown breast” and “chocolate brown brows” is just overkill. The text is overloaded with commas (e.g., “The sensory difference, made, the physical differences between the two border cities, obsolete.”), and there are no tags or paragraph breaks to separate dialogues from the narration. There are mentions of sex and childhood sexual abuse, but everything is too dry and clinical to even have any emotional impact. Deciphering what the author meant by phrases like “an obsession in looking chicky” (looking chic), “she had no quim” (no qualms), and “doubting Thomas modus operando” (I have no idea) is more exhausting than plodding through the grammatical and spelling errors present throughout the book.

Again, there’s an important message here, but prepare to work really hard to sift through all the errors and redundancies to find those precious nuggets of wisdom. Perhaps working with a developmental editor and a ghostwriter will fix this hot mess of a book, but until then, I can’t recommend Behind the White Coat to anyone.

Behind The White Coat
View: on Bookshelves

Laurina_Olowo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Laurina_Olowo »

It's really a hot issue. The mess in the medical field is worrisome. To think of the fact that these same people will treat you when sick gives me the chills and makes me pray never to be sick. Thanks for a very honest review.

espo
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espo.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by espo »

Medical apartheid and unequal access to medical care are real issues in our world - it's very unfortunate that the author did not do a very good job at writing this book. Thank you for your honest and thorough review.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

SomeoneInTheWorld
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-someoneintheworld.html
Latest Review: Elvenfold Hammerquest by Brex Francorum

Post by SomeoneInTheWorld »

The premise sounded promising and the message is so important. I appreciate the author for trying to convey it through her book. it's a pitty that she didn't do it well. Thanks for the thorough review!

Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

I agree with the message - 'medicine is now more about revenue than himanity.' This book seems to be potentially promising, maybe a further edition will suffice.

Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

I am sorry you had to endure reading such a book. Thanks for the honest review.

Salma_asa
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Meryl Streep: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Salma_asa »

I was really interested in reading a medical thriller. But I am hesitant after seeing your rating. Thanks for your honest review.

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: By the Hand of Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Shackles and More Gripping Tales by James Hanna

Post by Letora »

The errors alone would make me put down this book. I'm also fine with characters having flaws, that's what makes them interesting, but they need redeeming qualities too. I will pass on this one. Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Conflict on the Yangtze by Greg Kater

Post by SunVixen »

Look like badly written book about very important things. At least the review is well-written. :D

praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by praise+anyi »

The author has a good message. So many medical practitioners have traded their humane part for money. If not for the errors, it would have been a great piece.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”